Frustrated adding new fish

Nursemom76

I have a 75 gal FOWLR tank that has been up and running about two years. It's been hit or miss as to what can survive in there. I have gotten pairs of fish such as clownfish, damsels, and chromis, and I lose one of the two. Time frame is different for each species as far as how long they lived once added. I most recently added a mertensii butterfly and a longhorned cowfish. The butterfly only survived one day, the cowfish appears fine. Water quality isn't usually a problem, it's always fine when tested. I don't notice any bullies in the tank at present...the newbies were left alone when added. I'm not 100% sure if the butterfly ate when I fed the tank as it was quite shy and hid the majority of it's brief stay. I'm just not sure what to do at this point as it's getting increasingly frustrating spending money on new fish and they don't last...esp for only one day!!
The nearest saltwater specialty stores are all over two hours away so it's not an easy task to take fish back to the store or utilize them for help.
I'm looking for any advice or suggestions out there.

Tank: 75 gallon, three power heads, U/V sterilizer, protein skimmer, rapid pro series wet/dry filter, live rock and sand, water temp 82-84 degrees, all fish are peaceful community--foxface, blue chromis (2), yellowtail damsels (2), three stripe damsel (1), six line wrasse (1), clownfish (1), cardinal fish (1), longhorn cowfish (1), a dozen turbo snails, and a dozen red leg hermit crabs, nassarius snails (4), bumblebee snails (4), banded coral shrimp (1)

jay0705

The damsels really wouldn't be considered peaceful lol the 6line is iffy too. Butterfly fish are hard to keep. Chromis die on alot of people.
If all your inverts are ok its not your water.

Nursemom76

I had two three stripes and one was a bully that harassed anything I tried to put in the tank. That fish was removed. The six line and the other damsels don't bother other fish.
I took extra time acclimating the butterfly and cowfish. I use a drip method and probably spent almost 3 hours acclimating them as I wanted to ensure they'd transition well.
I look up all the fish before I buy one and read that butterflies are easy care....doesn't seem to be in my case. My clown was the first addition and still appears healthy. I had another one but after about a year the one I still have started fighting with it, wouldn't let it eat, and it eventually died.
I checked water this morning and had elevated ammonia but not sure if that was from the dead butterfly, it had died overnight. Need to recheck levels again.
The biggest fish is my foxface which is about 5 inches.

aduvall

Damsels and 6line = not peaceful.

6 lines in particular have a rep for being jerks. I hate green chromis ... Everyone says they are easy and hardy... I've never been able to keep them.

What were your water parameters?

Butterflies are tough... Have you read up on that one? Also that tank may be a tad small for those fish plus the butterfly in the long run? Could be wrong there are WAY more experienced people than me on here.

Question to others. Is 84 a little warm?

bang guy

84F is fine for those fish provided it's stable and doesn't drop when the lights go out.

I agree Butterflies are tough to keep.

I'm glad the Cowfish is surviving. They tend to take out all of the fish in thetank when they die.

Nursemom76

I did a lot of research on fish species before starting my tank. I always talk to the employees as well when I'm at the store looking for a new addition. I've been told that butterflies are good fish to start with and are easy care...so not sure what to think of that.
I've also researched my tank size and can house quite a few fish. I have more filtration than I need so my water parameters are always within normal and am not beyond my bioload, also the live rock and sand is a big plus. No fish will get beyond 6-8" (that being the foxface) except for the cowfish. I plan to invest in a larger tank as needed for the cowfish, and I want to add an angel and a tang at some point also.
I know it's not an exact science when dealing with live creatures of any kind, so maybe it's just some fish will do ok and some won't, but it's certainly frustrating to find what's going to work.

aduvall

Also maybe I'm thinking of the wrong cowfish, but I think it gets 1 1/2 feet?!? Also I think they are toxic? If stressed they can release it and kill other fish.

aduvall

Nurse, my LFS asks a LOT of question if you want to buy a butterfly... They actually won't stock some because they are so difficult.

Your acclimation seems really good though!

Nursemom76

You're thinking right, but after some digging I found that it's rare they would release toxin...if there was another fish harassing it maybe...but it gets left alone in my tank. Or when it dies, but if caught right away and removed, it shouldn't harm other fish. It's quite small now so it wouldn't affect my tank much either so I've been told. Yes it gets large...approx 16 inches, so I have already planned on a bigger tank before ever considering getting one. I love having a saltwater tank and my husband and I want to eventually get a 250-300 gallon.
Tank at present is at 82 degrees, no nitrates, no nitrites, pH 8.0-8.2, salinity hangs around 1.022 with slight fluctuations. As I mentioned my ammonia was up this morning but I have to recheck it. There's been a burst of growth of coraline algae in the past month or so. Currently have some red algae on the sand but it's resolving.
Ask my husband, he'll tell you how OCD I am, it took quite a while to set up my tank and cycle it before I ever put a fish in it. I'm so worried of something going wrong I'm probably obsessing over things! lol

Anyone have suggestions for good fish to add?? Ones that hopefully won't die within 24 hours?

aduvall

Your water reads good... How high was ammonia? Could be a dead fish. Coralline is good right?

I love wrasses. Christmas or hoevan's. Both are hardy and easy. (They do jump occasionally). Gobies as well.

jay0705

U have a clown, so adding another is tough. They will be aggressive w new clowns.
Honestly I dont think its your tank, its your fish choice and bad luck.
Butterfly are not easy. Point blank, they can be kept but are not easy.
Now in my 75 I have a fox, pair of clowns, royal gramma, mcoskers wrasse, sleeper headed goby, purple fire fish, clown goby, alage blenny, spotted mandarin, coral beauty angel and various shrimps and snails

Nursemom76

I've been through a lot of fish. firefish was way too shy, basslet jumped out of tank, coral beauty and bicolor angel didn't fare well, copperband lasted maybe two days, had two clowns I put in at same time, but lost one because other wouldn't let it eat and harassed it, lawnmower blenny lasted a few weeks. This has been over the span of two years and I'm running out of ideas for species to put in tank. There's only 9-10 so it looks rather bare. Bad luck seems to hang on me like a needy child....lol

jay0705

Ok coppers are very hard to keep. The clown, it happens if not added togather, even if added at the same time. If there similar in size. Fire fish, yes they are shy.lawn mower, I lost one the other is plump and going strong. Angels can be tough, especially the bi color. Ive had luck w coral beauty s tho.
I have a tank for problem fish ie bad fish lol
One in there u may like is a sunrise dotty back. Very hardy, but can be aggressive. Nothing ur current fish couldn't handle tho.

bang guy

There's only 9-10 so it looks rather bare. Bad luck seems to hang on me like a needy child....lol
If you have 10 fish in a 75 gallon tank that could be why you are having difficulties with new fish.

Just my opinion, but I would recommend having one single centerpiece fish such as the Rabbitfish you already have and perhaps 3 or 4 smaller fish. Every fish you add past the 4 or 5 reduces your chance of success significantly.

Ok coppers are very hard to keep. The clown, it happens if not added togather, even if added at the same time. If there similar in size. Fire fish, yes they are shy.lawn mower, I lost one the other is plump and going strong. Angels can be tough, especially the bi color. Ive had luck w coral beauty s tho.
I have a tank for problem fish ie bad fish lol
One in there u may like is a sunrise dotty back. Very hardy, but can be aggressive. Nothing ur current fish couldn't handle tho.
I add a royal gramma on last Thursday, she never show up in front of the rocks, last time I saw her was last Friday eating food, she is so shy, how is yours? Getting a fish without seeing it like nightmare, should I add another one.