Advice please on first time breeding of clown fish and anemones

hydrophilic

I am hoping to get some advice from our community regarding the trials and tribulations an individual with no salt water fish tank experience would face trying to breed these types of fish/coral. How long would it take someone to get up to speed with all that is needed to know to be successful and how much would one expect to spend to get a small breeding operation set up and running?

Thanks!

~Hydrophilic

snakeblitz33

Wow. Starting from scratch?

There is a lot of information through books that you may need to know starting off the bat. Abebooks.com has several good books on breeding clownfish and I suggest reading multiple sources.

Clownfish broodstock can typically be kept in ten to 15g standard aquariums. Each pair belongs in their own tank. A breeding operation should have multiple different species of clowns and possibly other fish.

Each species of clown have their own cycles and how long it takes for the eggs to hatch. There are multiple different types of medications that need to be kept on hand for the inevitable disease.

After the clown eggs are almost ready to hatch, they are put in their own egg hatching tanks which are round, black plastic and have standpipes in the centers to drain water. This step requires live phytoplankton, Rotifera and enriched Rotifera and eventually enriched brine shrimp and mysis.

As they outgrow the hatchling tanks, you move them again to grow out tanks. Grow out tanks are usually large enough to hold each batch of fish and each tank has its own Seperate filtration just in case there is a disease. Grow out tanks need lots and lots of filtration because you will be feeding a lot of food and a few will be dying. Lots of ammonia- so a large trickle filter and/or decent sized fluidized sandbed filter will keep the ammonia levels almost nonexistent.

Some things to note: large skimmers, pumps, some lighting , food, tanks, saltwater mixing vats, a large RO unit, large phytoplankton growing systems, rotifer and brine hatching and growing systems,.... They all add up to a lot of money. Your talking a lot. At least on a small scale commercial operation. Now, home breeding might not be so bad, breeding one or two species at a time and getting a hang of it. Just remember that at any step or stage, things can go sour. Something might not be fed on time, ammonia problem, a phytoplankton batch crashes, etc.

Now talking about wholesale fish and the money behind it,... A single pair of clownfish breeds every 28 days I believe. It takes 9-11 days for a batch to hatch. A batch can be anywhere from 80-120 or more, depending on species. Maroon clownfish have batches of 1200+! And with time if you get good, you can have a survival rate of 80-90% and a cull rate of 5%~7%.

A clownfish sold at wholesale will be about $5-6 each at least that was the going rate in 2009. It might be closer to $6-7 now. Now here is the problem: imagine you have four pairs of broodtock clownfish and you have an average of 100 live per batch to maturity. That's 400 fish every 28 days. Eventually those fish that you grow out need to be sold - and at 400 fish per month at $5 each your only looking at about 2k per month minus electricity, possible rent, filters, medication, food, water, and so on.

Ok, the problem is finding enough buyers every month to make that quota. Most online retailers already have vendors that they trust or have contracts with like ORA. If you decide to sell them retail online, at 400 a month every month, you may be eating your fish instead of selling them.

Imagine having two to three pairs of maroon clownfish breeding 3000 good fish every month. It's not an extremely popular fish, but they hatch a lot of eggs- you'd be stuck with a lot of them jnless you can find buyers.

Not saying that it can't be done - it has been done before. Just saying that there is a lot to consider.

What I may suggest is breeding specialty clowns that are not copyrited as well as other popular demersal or mouth brooding fish that aren't as common as clowns.

hydrophilic

Thank you for such a well explained response. You raise a lot of good points that I have not taken into account. The profit margin you have provided is lower than what I had pictured. I suppose you are not going to sell 400 clown fish at 20.00 a piece or even 15.00, but apparently 5.00 per fish in a wholesale setting.. A huge difference than the numbers I was thinking.

Getting stuck with a large amount of clown fish raises a moral issue in regards to the fate of those who are not sold.

What is the most lucrative fish in your opinion one could learn how to breed along side the clown fish, or associated corals?

Another option I have considered is the breeding of Koi fish, specifically the Japanese Koi. My step sister has a large pond filled with hundreds if not thousands of this particular breed. Some of these fish sell for hundreds of dollars apiece! Apparently the problem she has is isolating the larger ones from the smaller ones. They tried to use a net to get some out but had little success as the fish were finding ways to elude her. Perhaps I can come up with a better solution of filtering these fish out by size.

bang guy

If you're in it for the money I would recommend Koi and avoiding saltwater fish altogether.

Second to Clownfish would be Banggai Cardinalfish. Of the thousands of Clownfish I've raised, all of them sold immediately. There is no shortage of buyers.

What Snakeblitz is indicating is true, the buyers will not come to you to take your fish, you have to put in some work to find buyers and become a dependable breeder.

snakeblitz33

You grow koi in ponds small enough to run a net on both sides. You Seperate fish in batches. You have your broodstock in 300g plastic horse troughs to breed and once they hatch, you transfer them to the pond to grow.

Koi is a lot more lucrative than saltwater fish. If you want to make money, stick to koi, plecostamus and possibly even growing stock pond fish.- like bream, crappie, bass and sunfish or whatever norther varieties there are.

hydrophilic

Thank you both for your continued input!

I went to a very cool place today that breeds and sells really hard to find coral and common coral along with some pretty impressive selection of saltwater fish. This guy had to easily have over 100k in coral between two of these large shallow tanks. Some of the most amazing coral.. some wasn't even for sale. It seems like coral is a very wise investment given it's ability to reproduce as well as demand.

While this is a financial endeavor, I must say, I can't wait to have my own personal tank in my bedroom! Some of the corral I saw would look real nice with a Zebra Moral Eel I saw today!! I can see this being a very expensive hobby for some.

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

If I were you, I would stick to it as a hobby for a few years and get good at it and figure out what it takes to propagate coral before going into business doing it. There are many very complex issues to deal with, including chemistry, water quality and livestock issues which you need to learn before you spend that kind of money in this hobby.

If you had the inclination, you might even go to a few conferences on the marine aquarium hobby to see what all is involved.

People rarely get rich in this hobby- more people do it because they have a passion for it.

hydrophilic

That is the beauty though, my two other partners have the capital and one of them has two years experience with saltwater tanks (I learned of this today) so knows of failures, and I have the chemistry skills. I don't expect to get rich, but it seems like a fun way to earn a legitimate income.

snakeblitz33

I've been in the hobby since 2005- which is about ten years, give or take. I owned a live fish/coral store back in 2008. Even if I had the capital to propagate coral for an income- I wouldnt. The reason is because there are hundreds / thousands of hobbyists out there that give frags away or sells them for dirt cheap just to pay themselves back for equipment that they bought. A business can't compete with someone who is just doing it to pay their reefing electric bill.

That's just something to consider.