New guy with 55g questions

Next2play

I have been in the Hobby for a little over a year, I started with a 10 gallon with
1 Niger Trigger
1 Blue Damsels
1 Yellowtail Blue Damsel
1 Clown
Then upgraded to two 10 gallons and added a
1 Madrian Goby
3 Green Chromis
Tanks were doing great and then I moved into a house and upgraded to a 55g and built a stand and lid, added
Let my care of tank slack and suffered losses through out year. Restarted and get things back in order with a 10 lbs of live roack and a 10 gallon sump for equipment to start of the year.
Tank had
1 14" Snowflake Eel.
Was silly enough to post on facebook, that I wanted Family to buy me new fish to start the new year and requested fish for and aggressive Tank, nothing under 1.5"-2" and pretty. Of course people didn't listen and this is what I got:

2 Yellow Tangs
1 Niger Trigger
2 Talbot Damsels
2 Three-striped Damsels
1 Domino Damsel
2 Blue Damsel
1 Yellowtail Damsel
3 Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Tomato Clown
1 Cardnial
1 Lunare Wrasse
1 Chocolate Star

Question:

1) Is my tank over stocked?
2) Protein Skimmer just died, do i need to hurry and replace or save for better model, had seaclone 100?
3) Would i be able to add some coral to my tank?

Had more questions but drawing a blank.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

bang guy

1 - Yes, severely. You easily have three times the number of fish I would suggest.

2 - How successful was the Seaclone 100? As a guess I'd say it would be better to save for a better skimmer.

3 - Most corals would not survive the conditions of an overstocked system. There are some that can do just fine such as Xenia. The be sure I would need to know the parameter levels of the water (Ca, ALK, PH, Nitrate, Phosphate) and the amount of waterflow and lighting.

Next2play

1 - Yes, severely. You easily have three times the number of fish I would suggest.

2 - How successful was the Seaclone 100? As a guess I'd say it would be better to save for a better skimmer.

3 - Most corals would not survive the conditions of an overstocked system. There are some that can do just fine such as Xenia. The be sure I would need to know the parameter levels of the water (Ca, ALK, PH, Nitrate, Phosphate) and the amount of waterflow and lighting.

I never meant to get so many fish, more people bought fish then I thought would. i just wanted to get a Dogface Puffer, procupine puffer, and my Trigger again. Wanted to have nice big fish in an aggresive tank environment.
Seaclone worked great once i got it dialed in properly , worked great for the small load I had, was doing great with this larger load also. Just noticed it stopped, something wrong with pump or seal on pump. Will save for new one. So I can do with out one for a week or so?

Was just curious about corals since I have a much tamer tank, and wanted to try and liven up my aquascape.

Thanks for the help

aduvall

Are all these fish in the tank now?!? Those Damsels will kill each other in a week.

I would MAYBE keep one tang in a 55 if I had a super small load... 2 I can't imagine lasting. That wrasse will get 10 inches and is decently aggressive, like eating small fish aggressive. I think it's supposed to be in a 125 at least.

aduvall

Did you add all of these fish at the same time? Also you probably need more live rock, that bio load is gonna be beastly.

silverado61

I wouldn't get my hopes up on the chocolate star making it either. They're one of the hardest to keep because they need perfect water conditions and plenty of food.

seecrabrun

He is likely to have a big crash again like the first time, so best be honest and try to help him stop it before it is too late!

I think with heavy filtration he could keep what he has in there until he found them a better home. I definitely would not keep them all for the long haul. The vast majority of those fish are rated for a MUCH larger tank, and you have multiples. It's a recipe for disaster.

I'd start the process right now of trying to find new homes, unless you want to go out and get a much bigger tank right now.

Next2play

Are all these fish in the tank now?!? Those Damsels will kill each other in a week.

I would MAYBE keep one tang in a 55 if I had a super small load... 2 I can't imagine lasting. That wrasse will get 10 inches and is decently aggressive, like eating small fish aggressive. I think it's supposed to be in a 125 at least.

Yes they are all in the tank and have been for a month and no fights to deaths yet. Thankfully