Arrow crab?

Finally ready to add some inverts, and looked at an arrow crab at the LFS. He was cute! But, I read they can be a bit aggressive?? I do want to have some peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, peaceful fish, and a few soft corals. I've read conflicting things about whether or not they are actually reef safe. Thoughts on that?

Bryce E

Love them.. I've never had any problems with them.. but I didn't have them with corals except for a leather toadstool I think. I've had them with fish, hermits, snails, nudibranches, anemones, shrimp, sea apple, sponge, hard tube coco worms and my arrow got big... really big. I don't think you'd want them and a coral banded shrimp together, lobsters and other stuff like that. but they are great at getting rid of fire worms if you have them. I seen mine have one in each claw before. lol.

silverado61

I'd like one but the fact they dessimate bristle worms is why I don't have one. I like my worms. Unless they get out of control that is.

Thanks for the input! I thought the arrow crab looked so cute in the store! He had a little personality. But, I don't want it to eat any corals that I might want to add. This site says they are reef safe, but then I've seen people say they can be harmful to corals. Can anyone comment on their experience with that?

jay0705

In general, crabs will eat anything edible. That said, if they have preferred foods they will leave less desirable stuff alone. Ie corals

I was thinking that...if I feed it, then he will be happy and won't kill anything? Should I wait to add? Or add with my other CUC? (just finished my cycle, and I'm adding a small CUC to start off).

Ok, so I just read another forum that detailed lots of personal experience with murderous activity by the arrow crab. I guess I'm not going to get one :( I just want a peaceful tank!

jay0705

Ha ha ha it can happen w almost any crab. Spider, arrow, emerald, ect. Its more playing odds

Ok...well I'm not willing to gamble with an arrow crab just yet. I will do more research on them before I decide to add one. They are so cute, though. I wish they were more trustworthy!

Saltyskimmer

I have had an arrow crab in the past and loved it. Great personality and fun to watch. He never was aggressive with any of the tank-mates.