Your one peice of advice?

Kristin1234

What is your one peice of advice you would give to a sw newbie?

Whether it be a gimme or something more important.

I have learned so much from this forum and really enjoy it here and learn something new everyday!

So what is your sound peice of advice?

Saltyskimmer

I have had my tank for four years. I still consider myself a newbie because I know just enough to get into trouble. But the one thing I did learn in the beginning is that you need patience.

mandy111

Buy the best equipment you can afford at the time because going cheap means buying twice. & it costs you double. !!!

flower

Test before you dose anything, and follow all instructions to the letter when you do.
Never ask for advice from the LFS, go into the store already knowing what you want or need.
Fish are not puppies to be rescued, purchase only healthy specimens...Buying sick or injured fish tells the LFS they can sell anything, leading them to not take proper care.

bang guy

Do not be a minimalist.

Examples include:

Trying to get fish into the tank in the shortest amount of time.

Putting a fish that needs a minimum of a 4' tank in a 4' tank.

Minimimum waterflow, lighting, etc.

Do you really just want to just barely make it or do you want the animals in your care to thrive?

pegasus

Three words and a tip: research... research... research. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Oops... that's two, isn't it?

silverado61

The day you think you know everything there is to know about this hobby is the day you get lazy and things start to go very, very wrong.

tony11705

For me it is all about filtration, good water quality, ask lots of questions and patience. I would get the best filter you can afford and go one size up if you can in the protein skimmer.
I also believe that a good RO/DI unit goes a long way. I have Started using it in my fresh and saltwater tanks. I haven't had any problems except for the one I created.
Don't by fish that aren't eating yet at LFS. I am learning that the hard way right now. Even though the guy at the LFS told me to wait a week I had to get the fish that day (impatient).
Read Read Read!!! the web is so useful today. When I first started with fish tanks we didn't know much and it was a lot of trial and error. Now you can learn from other people's mistakes. Ask questions where ever you can!
Good Luck

Next one will be find out how many gallons water that you have in your tank, for example 100g, after take out of live rocks plus other stuff, it likes become 75g, when you need to feed medicine for decrease, you need have the correct gallons.

You do have 100 gallons of tank, by taking out of live rocks, sands, you probably have 75 gallons of water in your tank, if the medicine is for 1 drop per 10 gallons, most you put in 8 drops not 10 drops for your tank size.