New to forums and restarting hobby with 55g FO suggestions please

jbl_91762

So I was given back my 55g tank from my ex-wife after she and her husband grew tired of it after 15 years. But they let the tank go badly and when I picked it up you couldnt see past the algae growth on acrylic. Yet their 2 Mono fish and 1 domino and striped damsels are alive. I decided to start fresh and started tank with a mix of 25gal of SW from LFS and faucet water and salt. (I didnt want to drive back and forth to LFS) Yes I have since learned on this awesome forum I should have mixed salt with RO water. I also tossed the old live sand and bought 30 lbs of new live sand plugged in the 10g wet/dry filter (Did not wash or replace bio-balls). I soaked all the decorative rock about 30 lbs in a bleach bath for 3 days then let them out to dry for two days thoroughly rinsing each day and dropped them in. My protein skimmer is not on yet and will plug it in in a few more weeks. It will be a total of 3 weeks in 2 days, I didnt bother testing water at all but the Mono's and striped domino are swimming around and eating both morning and evening feedings looking healthy and happy believe it or not. The Domino seems slow to come around but hes at least 3 years old and looks to be coming around.
Forgive me for my ignorance with this whole process as its been over 15 years since I touched saltwater tanks but I've been reading forums since day 1 with the new tank and have learned so much. With that said and all done... Do you think my tank has cycled already? I plan on taking some water to my LFS in a few more days before i start buying my cleaning crew which I've decided on snails, hermit crabs and maybe a starfish. Can you please advise me on which fish to add first please and how far apart? I know not to rush into adding fish but here is my current plan of fishes: Midas Blenny, Foxface, clown fish, scooter blenny, six line wrasse, diamond watchman goby. Recently I saw a yellow coris wrasse and red Dragonett which look pretty. My goal is to have as much vibrant colored fish. Can I still keep my Mono's with my future plans? Thank you everyone for your help.

flower

Hi,

Get a good beginners book to brush up on your knowledge, the hobby has come a long way in 15 years. A 55g tank is pretty small and you can't stock it like you could a freshwater tank. Scooter blenny's and mandarins need a very established tank...changing the sand means you lost a great deal of fauna that was established for the scooter blenny and copepods take time for the population to amass enough to keep a mandarin fed.

Now for the biggest problem...those damsels that have been in that tank for so long, are not going to tolerate any new fish you try and add. They will kill any fish more timid then themselves...the domino is a particularly mean type of damsel. All new fish will be juveniles, and they won't stand a chance.

jbl_91762

Thanks guys and sounds like I'm ok with how I handled the set up. I will be stopping by book store and grabbing a book. As far as current fish, I'll be giving the damsels to LFS when I get my cleaning crew. But aside from the cleaning crew, what fish should I get first? Also as far as the fox, I will trade it in when it gets too big.

jay0705

Trading while sounding ok. Is a pain in the ass. There venomous and use those spines to wedge in rock work

beaslbob

I would start the tank (or start again LOL) with macro algaes in a simple partition to form a refugium.

Wait a week then add a single male molly. and not add food for the next week.

then add a couple of female mollies and start feeding a flake or three each day.

Once you get the mollies to live a few weeks then try the more expensive saltwater only fish.

my .02