30 gal sump build help needed please

willfire67

Hi everyone! First time builder of a 30 gal. three chambered sump here. The dimensions are: 36"L x 12"D x 20"H. which will be divided into thirds evenly. I have read a ton and seen even more pictures on homemade sumps. Still, after all that, I still have not figured out three things.

1) In what order should the chambers be? I have thought of this: Chamber 1=entry from tank to sock with the skimmer in it. then 3 baffles over/under/over. Chamber 2= Refugium with live rock, live sand and algae. then 3 baffles over/under/over. Chamber 3=return pump and heater. Sound about right?

2) Baffles. Correct glass thickness? Distance from bottom for the unders and distance apart they should be for bubble traps. I believe the overs are determined by the skimmer level, which mine is 7-7.9"

3) inflow and outflow pipes. using rigid pvc. both sides will have valves. outflow to tank will have a check valve. Is 1" inflow to sump and 3/4" outflow to tank sufficient? and lastly....how far into the sump water should the inflow to sump pipe sit? 1" Im thinking?

4) what type and wattage lights are sufficient for the refugium?

Thanks!