ID This Coral?

Bryce E

Looks like a Goniopora to me. (Flower pot coral) With it's polyps retracted. Do the polyps come out more than that? How long have you had it?

liadb

Looks like a Goniopora to me. (Flower pot coral) With it's polyps retracted. Do the polyps come out more than that? How long have you had it?
7 days- this is the most that have come out since I bought it . Each day more come out.

Bryce E

Hmm... well if they do not extend out more than what you are showing here then either it's not happy or it's not it... hold on I know someone else that is very familiar with Goniopora's that I will ask and see what she says.

@mandy111 Does this look like a retracted Goni to you?

mandy111

ok, it looks like the close relative of the gonipora, its the alverpora i think. When it opens its easy to tell, gonipora has 24 flower petals each polyp and the Alverpora has 12 petals per polyp.
Its hard to see in the pic because its closed but I think I can only count 12 petals per polyp.
1st photo is a gonipora with the 24 petals per polyp.
Second photo is the Alverpora with 12 petals.
12th october pics 020.JPG
coral 1.JPG

bang guy

I believe Goniopora has 24 tentacles per polyp and Alveopora has 12. Off the top of my head I'd say it's not a Goni. Not sure it's Alveopora either.

mandy111

I believe Goniopora has 24 tentacles per polyp and Alveopora has 12. Off the top of my head I'd say it's not a Goni. Not sure it's Alveopora either.
You are very right @bang guy . You obviously know our stuff not many people know the difference.
Sorry I didn't mean to beat you. lol
At least we both had the same answer. that's impressive...lol

Bryce E

I did not know that. thanks for the info... the one above. whatever it is def looks to have 12 tentacles per polyp. and certainly looks closely related

mandy111

Hmm... well if they do not extend out more than what you are showing here then either it's not happy or it's not it... hold on I know someone else that is very familiar with Goniopora's that I will ask and see what she says.

@mandy111 Does this look like a retracted Goni to you?
thank you @Bryce E. It is a retracted Alverpora. If its been 7 days it is unhappy for some reason.
Couple of things please
Your nitrate & phos number please ?
Your lighting ?
and most importantly your ALK, this family of corals are very touchy with alk problems.
We will go from there. thanks.

liadb

8 dkh
.1 nitrate
0 Nitrite
0 Ammonia
1.025 salinity
.04 phosphate
79 degrees F
Red Sea C130 Max CFLs
RO ATO

mandy111

Ok. All parameters look really good I would suggest moving it slightly higher in the tank & in a medium flow. It may still be acclimating to the new conditions. I suspect lighting & possibly flow. Try higher for a few days up the flow on it a little. & you should see some changes in next few days. Nice specimen by the way. When opens will be very nice indeedy !

Mandy,

Because of budget, I want to buy stuff with good price and good looking in here, how do you see the $59.99 of 5 Pack Ricordea? Is it easy to take care?

mandy111

I don't own any Ricordea''s at all, a simple one over here starts at $250.00 so not something I a familiar with at all. sorry.