What lighting system are you using?

snakeblitz33

With the diversity of lighting systems available on the market and the diversity of tanks, I'd like to start this open thread as a discussion to try to help new hobbyists wade through the seemingly endless options available to them.

If we could have some kind of structure to this thread, I suggest the following information:

Full Description of lighting system:

Detailed Lighting Schedule:

Type of Aquarium:

Known System Parameters:

System parameters are extremely helpful in determining the type of lighting system to go with because a particular lighting system does not guaranty corals growth, coloration or success in a reef aquarium.

snakeblitz33

Full Description: I am currently using a two bulb T5HO system by an unknown name brand. The bulbs are made by ATI and both are 54w. One blue plus bulb and one 10k.

Lighting Schedule: The lights are on eight hours a day from 2pm to 10pm. There is not a separate timer for the individual bulbs.

Type of aquarium: Currently fish only.

Known system parameters: just cycled

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

No photographs available.

pegasus

Description: A "no-name" 48" t5 HO 234W 6 bulb fixture with timer and LED moonlights. Came with Workhorse ballast (5 year warranty), and separate timers. (eBay: torotofalls211)

Schedule: Moonlights come on at 6:00am, off at 10:00pm. Three bulbs come on at 6:30 am, off at 7:30pm. The other three lights come on at 10:00am, off at 2:00pm to simulate mid-day. Running ATI bulbs: 2x Aquablue Special, 2x Blue Plus, and 2x Coral Plus.

Type of aquarium: 125 gallon mixed reef.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0.25ppm
Phosphate: 0.16
Magnesium: 1350ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0
Calcium: 490ppm

I also have a 40 gallon tank with the 36" version of this lamp. Both tanks share the same water. Which reminds me... it's been over two months since my last water change, so I probably should do a 20% change...lol!!!

Edit: Total cost of 48" fixture (free shipping) and ATI bulbs: $300. Total cost of 36" fixture (free shipping) and ATI bulbs: $275.

Last edited:

pegasus

Easy to identify by this timer:
20150228_140232A.jpg

Tank with only 3 of the T5's on (morning/afternoon effect):

20150228_140336A.jpg

lmforbis

2 aquastar (cheap chinese) 165 watt LED fixtures. The blue is set at ~80% of max and is on 12 hours and the daylights are set at ~40% and are on 9 hours per day. I'm not sure if this is optimal. But my corals seem to like it. I have only zoas, one toadstool, and LPS but all are growing well . I've had problems with them bleaching if I move them higher in the tank.

55 gal reef

Temp is 78
Ammonia and nitrite are 0
pH is 8.3
sg is 1.025
The rest I won't be testing until tomorrow since I did a water change today.
I do a 10% water change weekly.