Cinnamon clownfish

snakeblitz33

I know that clownfish often establish a pecking order. Yesterday I added two cinnamon clowns at the same time- lights out and lights out all night. This morning I turn my lights on and the larger of the two starts swimming over and picking on the other one. How long might you guess this behavior will last until a pecking order is established? Will it end or????

pegasus

I know that clownfish often establish a pecking order. Yesterday I added two cinnamon clowns at the same time- lights out and lights out all night. This morning I turn my lights on and the larger of the two starts swimming over and picking on the other one. How long might you guess this behavior will last until a pecking order is established? Will it end or????
Hard to say. I bought a pair of small saddle back clowns, and after a few months, one outgrew the other and started attacking it... constantly. It got to the point that I finally had to separate them. Good thing I had another tank, because the smaller of the two was constantly hiding and not eating very well. It's not as skittish and is eating and growing good now that it's the only clown in the tank. It's weird, because they were inseparable up to the time the attacks started. I would have thought 125 gallons would have been sufficient for a pair of clowns, but I guess the end of the tank where they hung out was a little too crowded for two. Only time will tell if it works out for your pair...

bang guy

This behavior will only last a couple more decades or so. The larger is stating dominance. This is necessary or they would both turn female and then one of them would have to die.

snakeblitz33

I think that I made a mistake adding these clowns before I added a couple of gobies. I hope next week isn't too late to add the other small peaceful fish that I wanted to add.

Looks like my fish list is going to have to be cut a little short because of the aggressive nature of these little buggers. That's ok though, I'm more into corals anyway.

jay0705

My clowns never bother new additions. I haven't anything other than a scooter w the maroon tho. The occ pair don't bother a thing

jay0705

Thats what I hear. Its a good size maroon now too, about 3"inches. Still doesn't bother anything.

1guydude

Do u have an anenome? +1 as bang guy already said. Both r males or female and one hasn't turned yet.
Hths
D

pegasus

You could tried to use the net to move one of clown to other side of tank, it works for me.
I tried for several hours to catch it due to all the rocks in the way, and was only successful in netting her after the lights were out. I
Do u have an anenome? +1 as bang guy already said. Both r males or female and one hasn't turned yet.
Hths
D
They're both males, because if they were both females, one would already be dead. They're all born males, and the dominant one will turn into a female. That's why it's harassing the other, to keep it from changing before the dominant one.