Sump Baffle jig

unknown

Just wondering what some of you guys have used as a jig to make sure your baffles are installed square. I have all my baffles cut and ready to be siliconed in but and having a hard time getting them to stay squared up before I silicone them in.

Any help would be nice.

Vince.

pegasus

Mark a plumb line on each side of the tank, line up the baffle, and use painter's or duct tape on one side of the baffle (each end) to hold it in place. Silicone the untaped side(s) and let it dry overnight. Remove the tape and silicone that side. Problem solved...

mandy111

@unknown This was a massive task. Best way is like that photo. That's our. 6 foot sump being made by an absolute expert. Hope this helps ?

pegasus

@unknown This was a massive task. Best way is like that photo. That's our. 6 foot sump being made by an absolute expert. Hope this helps ?
Show off... not everyone can afford an "absolute expert". o_O Some of us commoners have to resort to popsicle sticks and duct tape!!! LMAO!!!

unknown

So I took your approach mandy111 and that made it so much easier. In hind sight I was thinking about the baffles spacing. I have a 1900GPH return pump and was wondering if theres a formula for determining the spacing gap between each the air trap baffles to not restrict water flow. I currenty space mine 1.5" from each other.

Vince.

mandy111

Show off... not everyone can afford an "absolute expert". o_O Some of us commoners have to resort to popsicle sticks and duct tape!!! LMAO!!!
Wasn't trying to show off. Sorry if you took it that way. Apparently this is the way to square baffles perfectly. Doesn't matter on what size. It works every time. I honestly thought this would help !

mandy111

So I took your approach mandy111 and that made it so much easier. In hind sight I was thinking about the baffles spacing. I have a 1900GPH return pump and was wondering if theres a formula for determining the spacing gap between each the air trap baffles to not restrict water flow. I currenty space mine 1.5" from each other.

Vince.
Really glad it worked for you ! I wouldn't even attempt a sump so well done. If you think about it if pump returns 1900 an hour it will do it regardless the gap in between baffles surely. I used to have 6 foot overflow 6000lt return. I still run 6000lt return but overflow is only 2 feet now. Still takes. 6000lt ? I think ? Skinny or wide baffles don't think it matters. ???? I've heard the wider the gap the slower the flow. The narrower the faster the flow ? Is this correct. ?

lmforbis

I'd say it does help. I would never have thought of turning the tank like that. Looking at the pic it seems obvious. I paid someone to build mine because it looked like it would be really easy to mess it up. Based on that pic I could have done it if I had thought to do it that way.

mandy111

I was so scared for the. 2 days it took him to build that I was going to get a phone call saying " sorry fell over". Lol. Thank god it didn't.

pegasus

Wasn't trying to show off. Sorry if you took it that way. Apparently this is the way to square baffles perfectly. Doesn't matter on what size. It works every time. I honestly thought this would help !
I was picking at you, mandy! LOL!!! It was a brilliant idea to turn the tank on it's end and use spacers to separate the baffles.