Tank Moved

smfoister

Alllright so I finally have my 90 gallon moved to the new house. The tank was originally sitting in my parents house for almost 10 years and it was in a room that almost no one really went in other than to feed the fish. That being said, this thing is incredibly loud and my father had absolutely no idea.

It's sitting about 10 feet from my primary TV watching area so it's already annoying me after a couple of days. I didn't think it would come to this so quickly, but I'm going to have to re-plumb the thing. I'm going to change out the stock barbed drain and return with threaded bulkheads (I believe that are 1" and 3/4") and plumb in a Herbie standpipe/emergency drain with the return coming up the back of the tank.

My return pump right now is a Mag5 and it has a threaded nipple on it that currently has a threaded coupling with a piece of pipe sticking straight up from it. Clear vinyl tubing is slipped over the top of this pipe and then connected to the barbed return bulkhead. Obviously I'll be disconnecting this and plumbing it up the back of the tank. Would anyone recommend continuing to use the vinyl tubing to connect to the new return, or hard pipe the entire thing? (Main concern is vibration on the rigid pipe)

Any other recommendations before I undertake this task?

smfoister

To add to the above... PVC pipe sizes confuses the shit out of me. I'm looking to replace my bulkheads with a 1" threaded and a 3/4" threaded... this is the size of the pipe that will fit INTO each side of the bulkhead correct? I'm looking at 3/4" slip bulkhead fittings on Amazon, good price and prime.

flower

Sumps are loud, usually just the constant sound of running water...In case your fix doesn't work, and you desire silence, switch to a canister. You lose the extra water volume, but gain quiet, you won't even know it's running. I personally like the running water sound, but it isn't for everyone.

smfoister

Well, I'll give you that. They are loud in nature. But I have designed my sump in such a way that the running water sound is pretty difficult to hear even when your head is in the cabinet and inches from the surface of the water. The issue is the water entering the sump, it's niagra falls in there. I think I have the right solution, I just need to buy some pvc and start dry fitting. Might do phase 1 tonight.

flower

Mine wasn't loud either, just the steady sound of running water...LOL..I have heard some that sounded like a water buffalo was drowning. Some people don't want to hear anything at all, so I mentioned the canister. Most who go with a sump system wouldn't want it any other way. You should post some pictures, I'm sure there a few new folks who would love to look at a sump plumbing build.

mandy111

Would def go PVC. If plumbing is hard to get to ( back of tank ) put as many unions as to can so if snail etc causes blockage you can easily unscrew instead of cutting & glueing. Take look at the bean animal set up. Soooo quiet & flood proof 100%. Easy to do.