Been wanting to ask this for years

ClaptonsGhost

I've always wondered about this but never occurred to me to ask hundreds of other people at once in a saltwater fish forum.

Do your fish all act the same from one day to the next? In other words, some days my tank is a delight, everybody is swimming around in different parts of the tank, putting on a really nice show and acting as if they really believe they're still out in the ocean..

The next day they could be lethargic, hanging out at the back top corner of the tank or behind a rock or in a cave. The tank will look almost empty, except for those tangs that never stop swimming like naso's and yellow tangs. Some days they'll even do one thing for half a day and the other the rest of the day. There's no set pattern.

So, weigh in with your responses. It will probably lessen the stress for a lot of us if this is common behavior.

Bryce E

I believe there are a ton of factors for this... But just like us every fish is different and have their own personalities and will sometimes be in a good mood and feel great and other times not so much. I have had several of the same types of fish that behaved very differently from one another. I don't think they really get "depressed" or in a bad mood so much..lol but I'm sure they don't feel good sometimes. Especially depending on how they're fed and what the tanks parameters are like.

mandy111

I seem to have very chilled out fish, they casually swim around pecking rocks, lining up for the cleaner wrasse. almost like they are dope smokers at times. Then other days they are like yours, i suppose they do have good and bad days, good and bad sleeps maybe, But as long as they all get very excited for food time and are healthy, thats all that matters.

ClaptonsGhost

Cool, thanks guys. My fish are so clean they actually avoid the cleaner wrasse. Nobody scratches themselves, But you've both answered my question. They're not always ready to put on a show. Just like my favorite band, Cream. Sometimes they were fantastic, other nights not so much.
More responses would be appreciated if only because I enjoy the company :D

mandy111

Cool, thanks guys. My fish are so clean they actually avoid the cleaner wrasse. Nobody scratches themselves, But you've both answered my question. They're not always ready to put on a show. Just like my favorite band, Cream. Sometimes they were fantastic, other nights not so much.
More responses would be appreciated if only because I enjoy the company :D
I have a lazy day today. No tank stuff to do. All done yesterday. So will sit back. & watch & enjoy. Maybe even a glass of red wine with lunch. Love these days !

ClaptonsGhost

I'll look now. Are you sure you aren't already hitting the wine? Your first response has nothing to do with my question.:confused:

mandy111

I'll look now. Are you sure you aren't already hitting the wine? Your first response has nothing to do with my question.:confused:
First response did. ???! I answered your dam question. Then you said more answers would be nice because you enjoy the company. So I started a conversation with you to keep you company. ? Then I thought you might find pic funny & have a laugh.

ClaptonsGhost

Did you? Sorry, I was multitasking and didn't notice you answered previously. That's it, no more chewing gum and reading for me.

As far as the picture I meant why are you building a sump that looks like a Japanese hotel? ;-). Then I noticed you have it on its side.

mandy111

Did you? Sorry, I was multitasking and didn't notice you answered previously. That's it, no more chewing gum and reading for me.

As far as the picture I meant why are you building a sump that looks like a Japanese hotel? ;-). Then I noticed you have it on its side.
Lol. Now that's funny. Lol

flower

My fish, coral and inverts always act exactly the same from day to day, the shy fish is always shy, the bully is the bully and the food hog does his thing. They established their territory (anemone is the exception, it would move and upset everything else) so they are always in the same area of the tank as well. The only time anything would change is if there was a new fish or object added or moved, or the parameters were off. This why so many people insist fish are boring, they do have personalities, but that's their personality and who they are, and they don't really change.

The joy of the hobby is the act of setting it all up/keeping it going, doing the testing and finding that perfect specimen... for interactive "company" I have my dogs. Fish are to watch and enjoy them for what they are. It's always great when company/for me grandskids, comes and checks out your tank and ooo's and ahhh's when they notice what's in there.

ClaptonsGhost

Couldn't have put it better myself, flower. It's a display to me, not my pet collection. To be able to recreate an environment as delicate as the ocean in your home always fascinated me. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I did pick up a huge mushroom on a huge purple coraline encrusted rock (huge in comparison to the usual little porcelain squares). I checked just now and the Majestic is out of the corner. I mentioned in another thread how he actually gets constipated. Maybe he hasn't "gone" today. Anyway, thanks for your comment!

trigger40

hmmmm.... maybe i can shed some light on this. as a active fishermen i know that fish are more active on a falling tide. massive bodies of water can seem empty on an incoming tide, there is still life you just haft to look for it. but on a falling tide there are fish moving everywhere. maybe taking fish out of the ocean and putting them in a tank where there is no tide confuses them and causes strange behavior? but yes my fish do have "off days."

pegasus

hmmmm.... maybe i can shed some light on this. as a active fishermen i know that fish are more active on a falling tide. massive bodies of water can seem empty on an incoming tide, there is still life you just haft to look for it. but on a falling tide there are fish moving everywhere. maybe taking fish out of the ocean and putting them in a tank where there is no tide confuses them and causes strange behavior? but yes my fish do have "off days."
That's the biggest crock of s#*! I've ever heard, but it makes perfect sense! LOL!!! Just kidding about the crock thing. Sorry... my aim isn't too good! But it does make sense. I guess that's why fish seem happier if there's strong flow throughout the tank.

ClaptonsGhost

He's insane! He's out of his mind! He's right! ;-) Although, I do have plenty of water flow in the tank. The funniest thing is watching one of my yellow tangs insisting on grabbing that one piece of mysis shrimp that gets sucked into my powerhead and is stuck at the exit, while easier to get food is floating all around him.

trigger, thanks for affirming that your fish have off days too. I guess only Princess Kristin has perfect fish!!! :D