Damsel Aggression

john suh

Wow these guys sure are aggressive to one another.

I just started a 30 gallon, have plenty of live rock caves etc. for hiding places and what not. So bought 4 of these guys to help cycle the tank. There is one particular guy that I noticed who was picked on constantly. Even during food drops. He became so bad in fact I actually fished him out with little effort. It literally took 10 seconds to get him and those of you know with caves and stuff, healthy damsels are a royal pain to net.

Have him in a bucket now, don't think he'll make it as he's sort of laying on his side and is pale in coloring. Do you guys recommend I add more damsels to spread the aggression out? Like say 7 or 8?

lmforbis

No more damsels. They will fight among themselves until there is only one left and you will never be able to add anything else. I just took mine out because they killed everything else I tried to put in my tank

mauler

Wow these guys sure are aggressive to one another.

I just started a 30 gallon, have plenty of live rock caves etc. for hiding places and what not. So bought 4 of these guys to help cycle the tank. There is one particular guy that I noticed who was picked on constantly. Even during food drops. He became so bad in fact I actually fished him out with little effort. It literally took 10 seconds to get him and those of you know with caves and stuff, healthy damsels are a royal pain to net.

Have him in a bucket now, don't think he'll make it as he's sort of laying on his side and is pale in coloring. Do you guys recommend I add more damsels to spread the aggression out? Like say 7 or 8?
Damsels are very aggressive little fish I would recommend returning them since they will attack each other and anything else you put in the tank.
Also there are much better ways of cycling your tank for example you can feed the tank like you have a fish or you can take a piece of shrimp and just toss it in the tank but using live fish isn't the preferred method.

pegasus

I always end up with one damsel. They are holy terrors, and should never have been introduced into the hobby... just my 2c.

john suh

Thank you for the tips. Back in the day I used to have a Betta sorority tank and the recommendations there were to add more to spread whatever aggressions that came about. Using that same line of thinking, almost went out to buy a few more Damsels...glad I posted here first. :D

john suh

You guys weren't kidding. Lost my first guy and things seemed peaceful with the leftover 3. Woke up this morning to find one of the 3 remaining with it's fins all torn to bits while he was being relentlessly attacked. So looks like I'll be down to 2 soon. Will never buy damsels again :eek:

pegasus

You guys weren't kidding. Lost my first guy and things seemed peaceful with the leftover 3. Woke up this morning to find one of the 3 remaining with it's fins all torn to bits while he was being relentlessly attacked. So looks like I'll be down to 2 soon. Will never buy damsels again :eek:
And so it begins...