Reef Newbie

Kronic

I am new to the reef keeping hobby, so new I haven't even set up my tank yet. My wife bought me a Coralife Biocube 29 for xmas and I have been gathering as much knowledge as I can about the hobby so I can try and do this right the first time. I have the tank now set on the stand and did a simple filter modification since everywhere I looked people said the bio balls should be tossed. I removed them and the filter pad and put in 2 eshopps sump sponges for mechanical, a bag of Matrix bio media and a bag of Purigen for chemical, and have ordered 25lbs of live rock for the biological. I also bought 40lbs of Arag-alive Fiji pink sand. The tank is still empty until the rock gets here. I also have bought *****'s Real Ocean Water to fill the tank after the rock has been set up and sand put in. My first questions are as follows. 1. Will the die off from the live rock be enough to start the cycling process or do I need to still use a small raw shrimp? 2. I plan on getting a powerhead to increase the flow in the tank, but is this important to have while cycling or is the stock pump enough to start? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I am very excited to start my first tank!

jay0705

Well first welcome. The die off should be enough. Test your water maybe 2 days after you put the rock in. If u see ammonia its started the cycle. If not add a shrimp.
Power heads will help speed the process but are not needed no.
Water, do u plan on always buying it or will u be mixing your own?

Kronic

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to stick to the ***** water or start mixing my own. Which is better for a reef tank? I have read that I should not change the water parameters once i start adding corals so I know I need to stick to one method and or salt mix, but I'm not sure if the ***** water is good for keeping corals or if I should use a good salt mix like Instant Ocean Reef Crystals or what. I have also heard the the Nutri-Sea water is great, but is a bit pricey. Suggestions?

jay0705

Honestly mixing your own is prob best. You know exactly whats in your water. Red sea reef and instant are good salts.
You know ro/di water is best?

Kronic

Yes. My LFS sells it at $0.50 a gallon. I'm also looking into an ro/di system but I would start off with getting it from the LFS. Is it ok to start with the ***** water and when its gone switch to mixing my own?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to feed your rock to keep it alive during the cycle. Fish food should do the trick every other day. You don't want the live rock micro fauna to die off during the cycle. Air Water Ice sells excellent (and affordable) RODI systems. Any equipment you get at LFS is likely going to be pricier and may not be the best choice. Do your research on every item you want to purchase to see which works best for your needs. Advise from vendors at the LFS needs to be taken with a grain of salt (in many cases).

beaslbob

Look up macro algae. IMHO it makes the tank balanced and stable and therefore much easier to maintain.

(Probably have to protect it is a refugium which can be just a simple tank partition.)

to get the tank started I would use a single male molly.

my .02

Last edited:
"I have read that I should not change the water parameters once i start adding corals so I know I need to stick to one method and or salt mix"

Is that mean I can't change from IO salt mix to IO reef salt mix?

Kronic

Kool thanx for all the advice! I will check out Air Water Ice and see what they have. I have not read anything about feeding the live rock though, won't that increase waste in the tank? How much food should I put in for the micro fauna?

As to macro algae in a refugium, I read that the 2nd chamber in my biocube can be used as a refugium, but won't I need a light for it? I'm on a budget so too much extra equipment is not going to be easy ATM.

""I have read that I should not change the water parameters once i start adding corals so I know I need to stick to one method and or salt mix"

"Is that mean I can't change from IO salt mix to IO reef salt mix?"
From what I have read, no you should be able to switch to reef crystals so long as you maintain your salinity level like Jay said.

Thanx again for all the warm welcomes and advice!:)

Kristin1234

Just ghost feed a bit like you would with your damsel, maybe a bit less. It will produce waste/ammonia but that's sorta the point. Just helping the cycle.

You will need a light for the fuge.

jay0705

Lol its called ghost feeding. Your feeding the bacteria on the rock.
macro can be placed in the main tank. I do this as added fish food. Not all fish will eat it tho.

Kristin1234

Not a crazy expensive light like you would use for your reef. I got one from home depot for under $30 that Snakeblitz recommended.

Kronic

Sweet. Remember total noob here lol. I will research ghost feeding tonight and look more into a light to set up a refugium in the back of my biocube. Just got the email that my live rock shipped so I will be posting pics after I get it all setup and running! :D