Can anyone tell me what these are?

Kristin1234

@pegasus . These are the mysterious blue balls! Lol!

They came on the peice of live rock that I bought for these 2 xenia trees.

I'm thinking some type of polyp that hasn't opened up yet?

I moved these trees to the sandbed not so close to the light so hopefully they perk back up.

Attachments

pegasus

They appear to be a type of zoanthid, but it's hard to tell which kind. Even when they're expanded, there are so many that look a lot alike, and are just as many goofy names to go with them, that it can be really difficult to nail it down to one specific type. Zoanthids and button polyps are medium light corals (though they can do well under bright light), so they should de fine where they are... at least for the time. How is the flow where the rock is? If it's too strong, you may not get too good extension of the polyps, especially the xenia. They like a light to moderate flow. I keep mine in an area where they sway gently when fully expanded. Since they're filter feeders, I target feed mine a 50/50 blend of Marine Snow and Phytoplex once every week or two using a turkey baster.

That's a good location for that rock, as it will "seed" the surrounding rocks with that beautiful green coralline algae.

I came up with a name for the zoas just going by the cream pie color of the few that are slightly open, but it doesn't sound appropriate enough to post on a public forum... lol!

Last edited:

Kristin1234

They appear to be a type of zoanthid, but it's hard to tell which kind. Even when they're expanded, there are so many that look a lot alike, and are just as many goofy names to go with them, that it can be really difficult to nail it down to one specific type. Zoanthids and button polyps are medium light corals (though they can do well under bright light), so they should de fine where they are... at least for the time. How is the flow where the rock is? If it's too strong, you may not get too good extension of the polyps, especially the xenia. They like a light to moderate flow. I keep mine in an area where they sway gently when fully expanded. Since they're filter feeders, I target feed mine a 50/50 blend of Marine Snow and Phytoplex once every week or two using a turkey baster.

That's a good location for that rock, as it will "seed" the surrounding rocks with that beautiful green coralline algae.

I came up with a name for the zoas just going by the cream pie color of the few that are slightly open, but it doesn't sound appropriate enough to post on a public forum... lol!

Hey Pegasus, these guys still haven't opened up! Should I be concerned?

pegasus

Wow... it's been two weeks since you posted those pictures. Do they still look the same? If they were disappearing, I'd be concerned, but it is strange they never open. They may be getting enough light and feeding off of the zooxanthellae algae that lives inside of them, or they may be feeding at night. It's not normal for them to be open at night, but it does happen occasionally. As long as they aren't dying off, I wouldn't worry too much. If you find any that are open, you might spot-feed them some small brine or mysis shrimp, or even some crushed flake food. This might encourage them to open up, or at the least, give them a little extra energy.

Kristin1234

Wow... it's been two weeks since you posted those pictures. Do they still look the same? If they were disappearing, I'd be concerned, but it is strange they never open. They may be getting enough light and feeding off of the zooxanthellae algae that lives inside of them, or they may be feeding at night. It's not normal for them to be open at night, but it does happen occasionally. As long as they aren't dying off, I wouldn't worry too much. If you find any that are open, you might spot-feed them some small brine or mysis shrimp, or even some crushed flake food. This might encourage them to open up, or at the least, give them a little extra energy.

They haven't done anything. No color change, no opening, no closing. It's like they are dormant.

Kristin1234

I'm wondering if they truly are zoas?

I have another little patch of zoas that are looking great, but these ones not so much.

bang guy

I agree they are some type of Zooanthid. Perhaps Protopalythoa? Can't tell until they open up.

How much waterflow are they getting?

Kristin1234

I agree they are some type of Zooanthid. Perhaps Protopalythoa? Can't tell until they open up.

How much waterflow are they getting?
I'd say medium. They are at the bottom of the front of the tank. They get good light and nice flow.

I had them higher up but the xenias weren't happy there.

Kristin1234

When I bought them they looked the same.

I've never seen them open.

They were just a little bonus of the xenia rock.

bang guy

They dissolve fairly quickly once they die.

They need to open to actively feed but they can get energy from the light without opening up.