Carbon

bang guy

I didn't. I always had a canister of new carbon ready to go in case of a chemical contamination. In addition to that I ran carbon for a couple days whenever I noticed gelbstof accumulation (greenish tint).

Kronic

I'm very new at this hobby but, I use Chemi-pure elite in my biocube 29. I have read that alot of people use it and I know it keeps my water crystal clear. My tank is just finishing its cycle though. Haven't even added a CUC yet.

snakeblitz33

I run a bag of carbon roughly 500 grams constantly in my system and replace it at the first of the month.

Just depends on what your trying to accomplish with it I guess.

pegasus

Carbon can be useful if you have corals and want to keep your water polished. Removing the yellow pigmentation from the water helps with light penetration (raises PAR), so it can be very beneficial to SPS corals and other corals sitting lower in the tank. Most people don't notice it, but you can tell if it's there by draining some tank water into a clean white 5 gallon bucket during a water change. It also helps with DOC reduction. I run a couple of cups of ROX 0.8 in the second canister of my dual GFO reactor. I can tell a difference in water clarity since I set it up...

bang guy

Yeah, just put a white piece of paper at the far end of the tank and look at it through the water. If it looks like a Beaslbob tank then running some GAC for a couple days is going to make your corals a lot happier.

flower

Yeah, just put a white piece of paper at the far end of the tank and look at it through the water. If it looks like a Beaslbob tank then running some GAC for a couple days is going to make your corals a lot happier.

LOL...You are so bad!

I run carbon, and swap it out once a month too, out of habit mostly, since I no longer have my tank as a reef. I'm of the opinion, that when you have a reef it's a must, it prevents chemical warfare problems between the corals.