Reef Octopus skimmer

Hello all. I am collecting and buying parts needed for my new 75 gallon tank. I plan on doing fish with live rock.. And maybe in the far future some easy to keep corals like mushrooms. Still haven't added water or started cycle. Still getting everything needed. I would like to buy a Reef octopus as I have heard many good reviews. My question is has anyone used the Regal-150INT??? Also why does that unit cost more money??? I see it has some type of controller for the pump.. Also there are a few others Reef Octopus that I could choose from. I would like a in-sump skimmer. Is the Regal-150INT worth the extra money? Should I get another model?

snakeblitz33

The Regal has a really nice DC motor. The DC motor is controllable. You can adjust how quickly the motor will spin and draw in water and air. The benefit to this is that you can adjust it lower if you want to dry skim and higher if you want to wet skim and you can control the amount of foam supposedly better than your standard "output valve" adjusted skimmer. I personally like my Skimz SN123 Monzter Mini on my 75g tank. So far so good and it works hard and is very quiet. For a fish only - and lots and lots of small feedings, I suggest getting the SN143 skimmer... which will run about $160. The sn143 is about $140 and can handle up to 135g.

It's really just up to you and what you like. I personally really enjoy the controllable DC pumps with the feed mode.

Thanks for the input. Yeah the regal has the dc motor. My old skimmer years ago was just on control the flow with a valve. But the regal does have a much bigger price tag. Just not sure if Its worth it...

snakeblitz33

It's only worth as much to you as you think it is. It might be more skimmer than you absolutely need. If you are attempting to buy a huge skimmer, it may not work efficiently enough for your system. Meaning there may be dissolved organic compounds in your water (DOC's that your skimmer pull out) but it may not have enough DOCs to form a foam head and efficiently skim. Buying a skimmer that is rated only a plus one to your tank will make it much more efficient and actually be able to skim. Going too big, it may not skim properly.

I suggest looking at the Skimz SN143 skimmer with the DC motor that is controllable. It's up to a 200g tank, but it's only 1/3rd the price of the reef octopus. But, that's just me... I would rather something that is cheap and efficient.

snakeblitz33

Tells yah how quick they are selling out. Good skimmer. ;) I bought mine from bulk reef supply.

How old is your tank? you may put one on a wishlist somewhere and buy it when it becomes available. You might not necessarily need one for three to six months while your tank is maturing.