Regal Tangs

Connorer

I'm thinking of adding a regal tang to my tank, 180L - thing is I think it's too small. I was wondering how quickly they grow, as I was planning on getting a small one, and will be upgrading in a couple of years anyway. Obviously I won't be getting one if they grow really fast, as I don't want it to be uncomfortable. Anyone know how quickly they grow to full size where they need the apparent 700 litres that live aquaria says they need

bang guy

It's not the size of the fish that matters, it's the swimming pattern. Even a small tang will require what looks to be excessive swimming space.

To answer your question they grow very fast for the first 2 or 3 years and then start to slow down after about 5 years as they approach their adult size.

silverado61

You really should make your fish list according to how large they will get as adults and plan your tank size around that. Not, "If I get it now, I'll just move it later when it gets too big for my tank."

Connorer

It's not the size of the fish that matters, it's the swimming pattern. Even a small tang will require what looks to be excessive swimming space.

To answer your question they grow very fast for the first 2 or 3 years and then start to slow down after about 5 years as they approach their adult size.
So 3x1.5 foot is probably definitely too small then :( oh well :)

You really should make your fish list according to how large they will get as adults and plan your tank size around that. Not, "If I get it now, I'll just move it later when it gets too big for my tank."
Yeah, you're right it is probably a bad way to go around it :) i'm looking into what to get next though, mine are currently settled quite well. I'm after something hardy (as i'm still only a few months in) that's mainly peaceful and will be happy in a 180L/50g - any reccomendations?