Overflow question.

chrisely24

Sorry for all the questions guys, i just got a used 90 gallon and it is my first tank with built in overflow.

I took the tank outside to check for leaks and to check the sump that came with it. I got everything working until i shut off the pump then the overflow keeps going until it overflows the sump.

It is just a simple overflow that I have seen included with most brand new tanks, nothing DIY or anything. The drain portion has an air hole at the top of the elbow and several holes in the straight tube just under the water.

The water only flows into the sump until it reaches the bottom of the intake part of the siphon. I can't see any way to adjust it or anything. Thanks

snakeblitz33

Post pics or a video.

Is your return pump return line underneath the water level? Do you have a hole drilled at the water level line in the return locline so the return siphon is broken?

lmforbis

I'm dealing with the same issue. The volume of my sump is not big enough to handle the volume of water that flows into it if the return pump is turned off. All the water above the level of the overflow dumps into the sump really fast. In my case about 5 gallons, which is fine, the sump has enough room for that. At a much slower rate, though, the entire volume of the overflow will eventually drain as well which is about another 6 gallons. Not a problem if I am home I have shut off valves on the overflow pipes and the return pipes and can just turn off the water but if I am not home or it is in the middle of the night there will be a flood.
I am going to build a new sump this comming week. The dollar a gallon sale started today.

pegasus

Is the vertical pipe glued to the collar where it goes into the larger pipe? If it isn't and you can slide it up, it will help... but only a tiny bit. The volume of water in the overflow (from bottom of slots to bottom of drain pipe) isn't going to be very much. I think the only option is to measure the amount of water that drains after the pump is shut down, and buy a sump that will handle that amount. Looks to be the only option...

chrisely24

Yeah, maybe I can raise the overflow pipe so there is less distance between it and the slots in the over flow box

chrisely24

I figured it out, I feel stupid. It wasn't the drain siphoning at all, it was siphoning through the return nozzle.

I could either put a one way check valve on the hose somewhere or point the nozzle more toward the surface so minimal water siphons out.

I do have a steady drip at the hose barb connection on the bottom of the return only when the pump is on though.
I heated the hose and pushed it on and put a clamp on it and it leaked the same. i am going to try silicone on the barb before I push the hose on and see if that helps unless anyone has a better suggestion.

chrisely24

I'm Sorry Snake did you say something? LOL
I wasn't sure what you meant by the return line under the water level. ( I do now!) I will check on the hole, I have one on my output hang on tank return on my other tank.

beaslbob

I figured it out, I feel stupid. It wasn't the drain siphoning at all, it was siphoning through the return nozzle.

I could either put a one way check valve on the hose somewhere or point the nozzle more toward the surface so minimal water siphons out.

I do have a steady drip at the hose barb connection on the bottom of the return only when the pump is on though.
I heated the hose and pushed it on and put a clamp on it and it leaked the same. i am going to try silicone on the barb before I push the hose on and see if that helps unless anyone has a better suggestion.
or drill a small anti siphon hole above the water line.