Water would you???

GatorJAB

For those of you who have read my recent post you know that i've setup a new 90gal semi-reef which may go full blown once I get my feet under me.

Trying to be a good soldier with water changes I'm considering buying a 275 gallon water container and put it in my garage. From there I can get 0 tds water delivered for $1 gallon and keep about 200 / 225 gallons on hand.

I know lots make their own and i used to do the same. My issue was buying salt, time it took to make 40 gallons, location of water barrel etc.

My thought is if I do this then it's pretty easy when it's time to do a minor change the water is there. When it's time to do a major change the water is there. All I've got to do is drop a pump and water line and wala it's there.

So my question. If you had the option to do this would you?

Do you think the cost of $1 gallon delivered is reasonable vs buying RO/DI unit ( $200 / $250 ) salt ( about 30 cents per gallon ), water, time, etc etc etc?

I figure I just drop a pump in the container to leave running to circulate...

lmforbis

I'd be concerned about things growing in the storage tank while it is just sitting there. I get slimey bacteria all over the sides of the 10 gallon I use for my top off if the water sits in there too long. I end up scrubbing it every week.

pegasus

For those of you who have read my recent post you know that i've setup a new 90gal semi-reef which may go full blown once I get my feet under me.

Trying to be a good soldier with water changes I'm considering buying a 275 gallon water container and put it in my garage. From there I can get 0 tds water delivered for $1 gallon and keep about 200 / 225 gallons on hand.

I know lots make their own and i used to do the same. My issue was buying salt, time it took to make 40 gallons, location of water barrel etc.

My thought is if I do this then it's pretty easy when it's time to do a minor change the water is there. When it's time to do a major change the water is there. All I've got to do is drop a pump and water line and wala it's there.

So my question. If you had the option to do this would you?

Do you think the cost of $1 gallon delivered is reasonable vs buying RO/DI unit ( $200 / $250 ) salt ( about 30 cents per gallon ), water, time, etc etc etc?

I figure I just drop a pump in the container to leave running to circulate...
You didn't specifically say it's $1 per gallon of 0 TDS saltwater, but if it is, then it's a darn good bargain. Even if it cost a little more than RO/DI water and salt, just the relief of not having to mix it would justify the difference. However... RO/DI water is still very important to have on hand for topping off the tank as water evaporates.

reefkeeperZ

Salt water cannot be 0 tds, it may be mixed from 0 tds water.

As for the biofilm/slime that would grow in the container, that would be natural filtration cleaning up any undesirables in the water. I wouldn't bother scrubbing it out. if its green then its algae feeding on phos and nitrates that are unavoidable in trace amounts, if its clear then its probably bacteria of some sort feeding on the various things bacteria feeds on. I can't imagine how it could be detrimental.

reefkeeperZ

I would grab a couple gallons and run some tests on it for all the usual suspects, trate, trite, ammonia, phos, calcium, mag, etc. etc. depending on what kits you have it may just be simpler to send a sample out for analysis.

A $1 per gallon is very good price, but you pay for what you get, this could be a tap water that mixed with salt, anyway you also need fresh RO water to refill the top off water in regular schedule.