Seeding Coralline algae: Do I just scrape this off

john suh

So was perusing my local Craigslist the other day for live rock and came upon an ad for a 24 gallon nano cube with stand, came with Heater, aftermarket marineland 17inch LED light and filter. All for FIFTY BUCKS< lol. When I contacted seller he said he had a slew of responses, no surprise. I told him I would up the offer to 100 bucks buyout if he let me come and grab it same day. He obliged so now I have 2 tanks. Filled it with cycled tank water from my primary tank when I did water change.

The purple gunk on back looks to be coralline algae?...Do I just scrape some of this stuff off and swirl it into my primary tank to seed?

Was filled yesterday, still need to clean the front and getting 20 pounds of live rock later today... didn't really need 2 tanks but have always wanted a cube and couldn't let this deal pass. Haven't decided what to do with it yet,if my clowns pair up and get overly aggressive in my primary community tank will probably use it as a breeder.

Attachments

jay0705

U can aslong as u feel there are no nasties in the tank. Ich can attach to stuff in tanks and substrate

flower

U can aslong as u feel there are no nasties in the tank. Ich can attach to stuff in tanks and substrate
Question...the tank has to cycle, wouldn't that more than take care of the time a tank has no host for him to not have to worry about ich?

As for scraping it off...if you don't want it on the glass, a razor blade will scrape it right off (glass only tanks, not acrylic) Coraline will grow, it won't need any help, as long as the parameters are right. You can take a mag float and rub it if you want to "seed" the tank and give a push....or... take a rock with coralline on it and rub it with a toothbrush (LOL...new, mark it fish only) in front of a power head.

deejeff0442

Someone needs to make a thread about water from a cycled tank dont contain next to no bacteria. It lives on hard surfaces.

reefkeeperZ

Question...the tank has to cycle, wouldn't that more than take care of the time a tank has no host for him to not have to worry about ich?
As long as the tank is fish-less for 6 weeks any ich would die. ich cannot survive longer than 6 weeks without a host. So yes you are correct, as long as the cycle process lasts longer than that.

reefkeeperZ

But yes op you can scrape, scrub scuff, puree, or however you want to do it. I usually use a hard toothbrush or brass bristle brush the scuff the heck out of coraline on rock for seeding a tank (whos gonna be the first to panic and scream don't use metal? lol), you can also scrape some off the glass or plastic and crush it up really fine, as long as it didn't dry out on the way home it should be viable.

flower

As long as the tank is fish-less for 6 weeks any ich would die. ich cannot survive longer than 6 weeks without a host. So yes you are correct, as long as the cycle process lasts longer than that.
And LOL...Without fish in it is key. I would also like to add that plastic will cover with Coraline faster then anything else, such as the power heads, and tubing. That's kind of nice because the power heads and such will blend in with the tank more as time passes.

How do you get coralline off of acrylic tanks, I always get glass tanks so I really have no idea, and as with all plastic the coralline will gather on acrylic like a plague.

reefkeeperZ

using a plastic scraper if its heavy enough or acrylic algae scrubber works but both result in hazing due to the coraline being abrasive enough to scratch the plastic. ideally using vinegar as a solvent if the tank is empty is best if its full keeping it clear before it forms heavy deposits by daily scrubbing is best.

flower

using a plastic scraper if its heavy enough or acrylic algae scrubber works but both result in hazing due to the coraline being abrasive enough to scratch the plastic. ideally using vinegar as a solvent if the tank is empty is best if its full keeping it clear before it forms heavy deposits by daily scrubbing is best.
Sounds much easier then trying to buff it out after it's all scratched up for sure. So John Suh.... empty that new tank, and soak it vinegar water for a few days to a week, it will come out like brand new, purchase a mag float (get the right one for acrylic tanks), to prevent the deposits in the future. Now is the time to do it.