How many fish in a BioCube 29 Gallon

Tyler S

Hi I am Tyler.
Later this year In November or December I am planning on getting A BioCube 29 Gallon Tank and I need suggestions on what are good beginner fish and how many fish should I have at max in a Biocube. They call it a 29 gallon but it's actually less than 29 gallons it is actually like 23.5 gallons so not 29 like am I able to have up to 8 or 9 fish or 6 to 7 I want to get
2 Ocellaris Clown Fish with a Sea Enimity
1 Yellow Watchman Goby with
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Pacific Cleaner Shrimp
3 or 4 Purple Fire Fish
1 Royal Gramma

bang guy

Not too bad, maybe a little overstocked.

Just FYI - Fire Fish only shoal as juveniles. When they mature in a couple years they will begin to fight and in a 29 gallon tank there's nowhere for the losers to go.

jay0705

Clowns and nem ok. Watchman and shrimp ok. Maybe the gramma. Thats it for fish. Nems need very good lighting tho

Tyler S

Not too bad, maybe a little overstocked.

Just FYI - Fire Fish only shoal as juveniles. When they mature in a couple years they will begin to fight and in a 29 gallon tank there's nowhere for the losers to go.
Really I love fire fish they are really gonna fight as adults I thought if you put them together at a young age they won't fight also what is the max the amount of fish I should have in a 23.5 gallon

Tyler S

Clowns and nem ok. Watchman and shrimp ok. Maybe the gramma. Thats it for fish. Nems need very good lighting tho
So I should not have more than 4 fish in a 23.5 gallon you know any other good beginner fish besides all the ones I said.

bang guy

My general advice for new hobbyists is 1" of fish (adult size) per 5 gallons of display tank. That's about a pair of Clownfish.

If you are experienced then you can take the behavior of the fish into account. The Watchman is fine but it will destroy the fauna in the live sand bed.

The Gramma is OK only because the cube offers a bit more footprint for hiding holes.

If it were me I would not put Firefish in a biocube. They'll either end up on the floor or keep injuring themselves when they try to jump out and eventually die of infection.

For Cleaner Shrimp, I'd do at least two or the same species.

Tyler S

My general advice for new hobbyists is 1" of fish (adult size) per 5 gallons of display tank. That's about a pair of Clownfish.

If you are experienced then you can take the behavior of the fish into account. The Watchman is fine but it will destroy the fauna in the live sand bed.

The Gramma is OK only because the cube offers a bit more footprint for hiding holes.

If it were me I would not put Firefish in a biocube. They'll either end up on the floor or keep injuring themselves when they try to jump out and eventually die of infection.

well what would you suggest as the best fish for a beginner for a 23.5 nano cube tank

bang guy

I think a pair of Clownfish would be something that could do well and also something you would enjoy. Skip the Anemone for now, they do not need an Anemone and they usually die for new hobbyists. By usually I mean 98% of the time.

After some time, if the Clownfish are doing well, go ahead and add a couple Cleaner Shrimp.

Last edited:

jay0705

my yellow watchman isn't a sand sifter bang. Is there another reason the fauna would be destroyed?

jay0705

Hmm, I do have a coarse black sand. That could be why he doesn't. My sleeper headed goby sifts all the time in my fine sand tank.

Tyler S

I think a pair of Clownfish would be something that could do well and also something you would enjoy. Skip the Anemone for now, they do not need an Anemone and they usually die for new hobbyists. By usually I mean 98% of the time.
After some time, if the Clownfish are doing well, go ahead and add a couple Cleaner Shrimp.
So Just the clownfish to start off with and I am sorry about all the questions but Should I just haver clownfish in the tank forever and that's it.

Tyler S

Here is another question is there away to have live rock in a tank and not coral just a bunch of fake plants and a volcano thats shoots out bubbles and other stuff or do the fish need coral

Tyler S

Here is another question is there away to have live rock in a tank and not coral just a bunch of fake plants and a volcano thats shoots out bubbles and other stuff or do the fish need coral

lmforbis

The fish don't need the coral. The live rock is an important part of the filtration. What you decorate the tank with is what you like. The fish do need places to hide and the rock helps with that.

jay0705

Live rock very important and good. Fake decor is fine but usually gets covered w alage and such

Tyler S

The fish don't need the coral. The live rock is an important part of the filtration. What you decorate the tank with is what you like. The fish do need places to hide and the rock helps with that.
Do I need live sand or could I have blue gravel

Tyler S

Live rock very important and good. Fake decor is fine but usually gets covered w alage and such
I would have live rock in it just no corals I wanna my tank to look like the finding nemo tank I might get a different tank and not a biocube it all depends on what my dorm allows in my independent living program I am going to in august