Fish tank desperately needs help!!!

jenerally

I just got back from college where I study marine science :) .. to find my tank a disaster (though credit to my mom for trying!). I'm not new to the hobby but I had no idea where to put this..
The tank has been established for probably 5 or 6 years now. It was originally a 26 gallon, but I upgraded to a 60 gallon maybe 4 years ago. I've always had problems with it: excessive hair algae, high nitrates, etc. I have to be honest that I didn't really do water changes, though. But now I really want to make my tank nice.
Right now, I have a HOB filter, a sump, a heater, two power heads, with a clownfish, a carpet anemone, and hermits and snails.
I know I need a protein skimmer, and will get one soon.
Here are the specs after I did a huge clean up:
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: .25 (probably cause I was digging around)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: either 5 or 10
KH: 7
Phosphate: 1 or 2
I am unable to measure salinity but am purchasing a refractometer.

Also, I have a question about the sump..
It always seems to run dry even when the tank is completely filled. I have a valve on the output tube that I have tried adjusting, but that doesnt work either. What can I do to fix this.

Overall, what can I do to make this tank look nice and get some more fishes and etc?
Thank you so much!!!

Edit: Any suggestions for a good protein skimmer under $200?

Last edited:

silverado61

Water is evaporating from the tank and sump. The return pump is keeping the tank level constant making it seem that the sump is emptying, which it is in effect. You need to top off with fresh water to keep the level and salinity up where it belongs. An ATO works best for this.

Just a thought.

silverado61

If you top it off to a constant level then the sump shouldn't be emptying. The waters got to be going somewhere. Do you get water on the floor?