Clownfish has a coating of something on it.

Jennifer Taylor

Hey guys, OK this is going to be a weird question. My black and white clownfish has a weird powdered coating on it. I have read and read about brookanella and Velvet. However, in everything I read it states that this sickness moves quickly. Signs include not eating, breathing hard, scratching, ext. Well, my clownfish has looked like this for over a month and showing non of these signs. She seems perfectly happy. So if anyone can tell me what it might be and what I should do that would be great. All tank reading are great. Oh, she is hiding behind a small rock today but not scratching or breathing hard, and she came right out to eat.

Jennifer Taylor

I have tried, every time I try and post from my phone it says file to big. Oh and she is not hiding anymore. Out swimming around like happy little fish.

Kristin1234

Try sending the pic to yourself via text, save that file and try to upload that one. It always works for me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just one of the clowns has this problem? Are they paired? How long have you had these fish? Post up your water readings? What are you feeding the fish?

Jennifer Taylor

No both have it. The little one has less. I guess they are paired they follow each other all over the tank. I have had them about 2 months. I feed them my sis shrimp dipped in garlic and brine shrimp like once a week.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to suggest the treatment for brook, even though you said that this has been going on for awhile. You didn't mention the water readings I requested? Also, the died you are offering is rather poor. Fish need variety, and brine has little nutritional value. I would suggest adding high quality frozen food and offering more than one type of food.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/102

Jennifer Taylor

Oh sorry,
PH: 8.0
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: was 10, 5 after water 20% water change.
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.026

I was also feeding frozen complete marine diet, someone told me that was not as good just stick with mysis. I can go back to doing both if that would be better.

Jennifer Taylor

My lfs did not have formalin so I ordered it. It should be in between Monday and Wednesday. I have taken them out of DT and put them into qt. Should I do freshwater dips on them. Or just wait till meds come in

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You could do FW dips which are very effective for brook. Have you done dips before and are you confident about doing a safe dip?

Can you post a better picture? We are talking about extreme treatment measures for brook and I'm not convinced it is brook because the pic quality was pretty poor. Good they are in QT. Do you have other fish in that tank?

Take a look at these pics to see if you can ID you problem as brook.

Diseased Fish (Pictures)

Last edited: