thinking of quitting, everything

seecrabrun

I wish someone would just come to my house and take everything away, but they have to be better at it than I am.

Last edited:

flower

I wish someone would just come to my house and take everything away, but they have to be better at it than I am.
There are 5 stages in keeping a SW tank..
Stage # 1... I got all my equipment and I just can't wait to get it cycled, I'm so excited!
Stage # 2... I have my critters, and I need help because I have to tweak it to get it the way I want.
Stage # 3... It's perfect, I have all my critters and equipment, everything is just the way I always dreamed it would be.
Stage # 4... WTF happened?
Stage # 5... I got some new equipment, I'm going to rebuild it better then it was before... continue to the above stages.

One piece of advice, if you do get out...do not sell your stuff for at least a year or two. You won't get anywhere near the money you put into it on resale. 9Xs out of 10, you will want to restart, and buying all that equipment is way too costly.

pegasus

Life certainly has a way of getting in the way of things we love to do. Flower is absolutely right... don't get rid of your stuff. Sometimes a break is all you need, and then the fever returns. You'll know it's true when you find yourself in a pet shop, and you suddenly realize that you walked straight past the freshwater fish to see what's in the marine tanks. When you start making a bee line to the marine section, it's time to jump back in.

seecrabrun

What do I do with my 2 fish that I know no one is going to want. That's the biggest reason I've not gotten out of this...

flower

What do I do with my 2 fish that I know no one is going to want. That's the biggest reason I've not gotten out of this...
Almost any fish store will take a fish for free. Again...keep your equipment and tank in storage if you get out...just to be really sure of what you want.

seecrabrun

I can't in good conscious turn in the fish I have knowing someone will buy it and hate it and try to kill it(or wish they could kill it) :(

flower

I can't in good conscious turn in the fish I have knowing someone will buy it and hate it and try to kill it(or wish they could kill it) :(
You don't know that. Lots of folks like those mean/ugly/gimpy (I don't know what's wrong with the critter in question) fish. To stay in a hobby you no longer have an interest in makes no sense. If however the whole reason you are dissatisfied is because of said fish... it is after it's all said and done, just a fish...People eat fish. So if that's the case, get rid of it and get something you enjoy. I have over the years had planty of fish that I really regretted getting, and I had no trouble rehoming the little demons, and I couldn't care less what happened to them later on...they are not puppies.

jay0705

If all u have is two fish. Take a break, to the min maybe a water change once a month. Toss a bit of food it and they'll be fine. We all have these moments.

pegasus

I had a pair of fish I thought were really cool... until they grew up. They were so destructive that I couldn't take it anymore. I took them back to the LFS that I bought them from, and donated them back. Someone obviously bought them, as they weren't there the next time I visited. Like flower said, I had no trouble rehoming the (not so) little demons, and I couldn't care less what happened to them later on. If these were anything like puppies, they would have been called hellhounds!

The point is... if it's the fish that are bringing you down, get rid of them. Not saying to throw them in the toilet... just take them to the nearest LFS and give them a chance at a new life with a new owner. If it's not the fish that are bringing you down, but you still want out, again, take them to the nearest LFS and... you know the rest.