We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. Submit a picture of your tank for a chance to win a gift certificate for your next Saltwaterfish.com purchase!! More contestants = More prizes!
  2. Hello! We noticed you are not a member of the Saltwaterfish Forum Family yet. Sign up now, and you will receive instant savings and freebies on your Saltwaterfish.com purchases. To the right is the link to 'Sign Up Now!'. We hope to meet you soon!

4-wheel drive goby

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by cocoboy821, Jan 1, 2007.

1. cocoboy821

cocoboy821 New Member

i read about the 4-wheel drive gobies on swf, and i was wondering if anyone had experience with one?
  2. geridoc

geridoc Active Member

We had one for several weeks until it was mobbed by hermit crabs. It was the consensus of people on this site that it had died, and then been attacked, but it was eating well up to the day of the lynching. It was very personable, sifted sand continuously and ate pretty much anything that we put into the tank, but would come to the surface for mysis. It had a very entertaining and unusual way of moving - sort of like a 4 wheel drive SUV going over large bumps. There are other sites and books that say that they do much better when they are kept in pairs, and that is what I would do if I were going to keep them again (still worried about the hermit crabs, though).
  3. cwgibson

cwgibson New Member

i want a pair
  4. sharkboy13

sharkboy13 New Member

i here to have a 4wd goby u need a SUV or other all terrain vehicle
  5. whitey_028

whitey_028 New Member

They are very neat fish but they do like to bury hole in the sand under the live rock. I had a pair the committed suicide after rocks fell on them. They are very neat fish as one got stuck in the overflow and in such and the male was circling the tank (185 and a 1 inch fish kinda comical) to let me know to save his friend. They have a great personality but make sure you have a "clean" substrate as they do get stuff stuck in their gills as they sift the sand. They did an excellent job of keeping my substrate clean.
  6. cocoboy821

cocoboy821 New Member

ok that so cool lol i was just worried that it might be a picky eater. did any of ya'lls fight with the other fish? we just got rid of two aggressive damsels (finally! :joy: ) and we so dont want any more that are always aggressive
  7. nick76

nick76 New Member

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
    We had one for several weeks until it was mobbed by hermit crabs. It was the consensus of people on this site that it had died, and then been attacked, but it was eating well up to the day of the lynching. It was very personable, sifted sand continuously and ate pretty much anything that we put into the tank, but would come to the surface for mysis. It had a very entertaining and unusual way of moving - sort of like a 4 wheel drive SUV going over large bumps. There are other sites and books that say that they do much better when they are kept in pairs, and that is what I would do if I were going to keep them again (still worried about the hermit crabs, though).
    Your hermits ate your golby :scared:
    Thats crazy...and I thought they only tried to eat snails.
  8. geridoc

geridoc Active Member

Yes, there was a pile of hermit crabs, with the goby (what was left of it) on the bottom, then nothing at all was left. Although it was eating on the morning of the attack, it hadn't been as active as usual for a day or two previously, so I think the attack was on a dead or dying fish, which is understandable for a hungry hermit to do.