Hitchhiker and LR only 1 Gallon Nano Tank?

cherryfox22

Hello fellow fish enthusiasts!

I'm quite advanced when it comes to freshwater/brackish fish keeping, but a total newbie when it comes to saltwater. I've done some research (and had a nice 55 FOWLR tank in the process of cycling when I ended up moving), and while I would love to have a nice saltwater reef tank one day, it's just not possible given my current apartment/life situation.

Anyhoo, something I've been toying with for awhile now is having a small pico (around 1 or 2 gallons maximum) desk top aquarium that only has live rock, and the hitchhikers that came on the live rock. By hitchhikers, I'm referring to the good (like micro stars and amphipods), and the horribly bad, such as aiptasia and fireworms. Just a small little tank, crawling with little inhabitants/pests for me to watch.

I wouldn't add any corals or fish to it, just live sand and live rock.

A few questions

1) What is the bare minimum that I would need for the micro critters to thrive? Would just a simple heater and filter be enough, or would I need a power head and other equipment as well?

2) In regards to maintenance, how often would water changes be needed? Would I ever need to feed the tank if I ended up with a small little crab or shrimp?

Thanks for any advice and answers!

Kristin1234

The smaller the tank the harder to keep water parameters in check.

You will need to feed the critters.

I'm not sure if a power head will be needed since there will be no fish.

cherryfox22

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to be patient, and wait til I move to set up a nice 55 gallon reef instead :) After tons of research first, of course.

bang guy

For the mini-micro tank I would not recommend a filter. You do need something to move the water around though, perhaps an air stone but you'll have to find something to deal with the salt creep.

Perhaps set the lighting or a nearby incandescent bulb on a rheostat to control the tank temp instead of an internal heater.

cherryfox22

Before setting sight on a 55, look at the 75. The extra 5" of front to back space (depth) is far superior.
Oh yes, I have thought about that. I had a 75 gallon before (freshwater, driftwood with anubias. It had two sengal bichirs, one peacock eel, one african grey knife and sand. Beautiful tank)

I'm going to do my best to find an apartment building that will allow a 75 gallon, as that extra 5-6" of space would be lovely for aquascaping (and it's not big enough of a difference for my boyfriend to complain about ;)