Algae I.D

chrisely24

I am not sure what kind of algae I am dealing with in my reef tank. I don't get this kind of algae in my FOWLR.

The pictures are not the clearest but as you can see it is everywhere, looks like little plants growing on the sand.

I clean it off and it is right back the next day.

I am running a GFO and Carbon reactor.
0729151906 (1024x576).jpg
0729151827 (1024x576).jpg

pegasus

Looks like you have a case of hair algae. EEK!!! :eek:

Strange to find it growing in the sand, but anything's possible with HA. It's fueled by nitrate and phosphate, and even when those are eliminated, it takes a long time to get rid of it. You can try blacking out the tank for a week, stop feeding the tank, and do large water changes, and it could die. If your phosphate level was ever elevated, it gets absorbed into the rocks and sand, and it takes a long time for all of it to leech back out. The only thing you can do is try to eliminate any additional food sources, and to manually remove as much of it as possible. It's hard to get it with your fingers, but a pair of curved and/or straight hemostats works great. It's a lot of work plucking little chunks of it at a time, but persistence will eventually pay off. As far as I know, HA is the hardest algae to get rid of. I've battled it over a year, and it's just now starting to recede. I think the dual canister GFO reactor was my turning point. When I pluck it now, it doesn't grow back as fast, if at all. I hate to break this bad news to you, but if it is indeed hair algae, you need to know what you're in for.

Sorry I didn't sugar-coat it for you. I hope this is one case where my ID is totally wrong...

lmforbis

My tiny tuxedo urchin cleared my big tank of all algae even bubble algae in a couple weeks. As soon as I find him he's moving to my 40b.

chrisely24

Thanks Pegasus, Will it be ok to black out the tank for a week on the corals? How about feeding the fish?

Imforbis, I will try to get a tuxedo urchin and give that a shot also thanks.

pegasus

The thing about phosphate is that it will normally register low. Because it's consumed by the algae as it becomes available, it's not in the water column, so most of it doesn't get detected. For instance, if it tests .04 while algae is present, and then you remove all of the algae, the next day it could easily be over 1 since it wouldn't be removed by the algae. I hope that makes sense, as it's hard to decipher my cryptic writings at times...

PS: You said, "My phosphates and nitrates are normal". What level(s) do you consider normal? TIA...

lmforbis

Even when you add the GFO it takes a while for the stuff to give up and die. It will first slow down then stop growing. Mine stopped growing a few weeks after I started GFO it took the urchin to remove it though.

chrisely24

Yeah, I understand what you are saying about the phosphate levels.

I was running the dual reactor long before I got the algae breakout lol.

chrisely24

I just checked my Phos level and it was between 0.25 - 0.5 (API).

That might be part of the problem there.

Like you said if the algae is using up some phosphate then the number is probably a lot higher.

Any way to get it down quickly? I am only 3 weeks into the GFO change but, I am all out of it now.

pegasus

Water changes will bring it down, but as I described earlier, it will still creep back up due to leeching. I don't trust API tests, so there's no telling if it's accurate or not. No matter what, you want Phosphate as close to zero as possible. Algae loves Phosphate. The only advice I can give, other than that already given, is to get some GFO ASAP and use a little extra.

chrisely24

Thanks pegasus, I been running GFO for a few months now.
I am going to do a a big water change this weekend and possibly try a Tuxedo urchin if the LFS has any in for a decent price.

Do you think blacking out the tank for a few days will harm the few soft corals I have in the tank? How about feeding the fish during that time?

One more thing, I have been doing some reading and keep coming to Vodka dosing to help get rid of the algae. Any thoughts?

pegasus

Blacking it out won't hurt the soft corals. If you feel the need, you can run the lights for a little in the morning and in the evening... but probably no more than an hour each time. This would be the perfect time to feed your fish, but meager portions only.

Vodka dosing is a form of carbon dosing. Some people use vinegar. I used the commercial type called NO3 : PO4-X, and it helped reduce nitrates fairly quickly, but takes much longer to get rid of phosphate. Carbon dosing is basically food for bacteria that consumes nitrate and phosphate. Dosing creates a bacterial "bloom", and as the bacteria consumes NO3 and PO4, the bacteria must be removed from the water column in order to rid the system of these compounds. This is where a good skimmer comes into play. "Harvesting" is a good term for this process, as it's similar in effect to harvesting macro algae. Daily dosing will keep the cycle going, and you would typically see a fairly quick reduction in nitrate. It takes considerable longer to see significant results in phosphate reduction. I dosed about a year, and one day I decided to stop to see what happened. Nothing happened, so I guess it helped colonize enough bacteria to support my system. Nitrate and phosphate levels remained pretty low, but still higher than I wanted, and I still had hair algae issues. That's when I turned to GFO. Once I started using GFO, my nitrate levels have been undetectable, and phosphate hovers just above zero. Carbon dosing comes with an inherent risk, so if you choose to go that route, follow the directions very carefully.

chrisely24

Thanks for the great info, I think I will skip the dosing for now. I will start blacking out the tank this weekend after a water change.

I did start feeding 10-15 drops of Phytoplankton last sunday but i already had the algae so that is probably not causing it.

I guess I will order some new GFO and vacuum the sand best as I can when I do a wc.