Finally

pegasus

Nice! Beautiful RBTA you have there.

(pssst... just between us, you might want to get a handle on that hair algae before it gets out of control)

2quills

Nice! Beautiful RBTA you have there.

(pssst... just between us, you might want to get a handle on that hair algae before it gets out of control)
Man that stuff was already getting out of control. The long hours I've been putting in at work this summer took a toll.

I'm doing a little revamping on the system. A series of large water changes over the last few weeks have helped. Had to trim back a lot of the macros in the fuge so that I could get some more light to the stuff at the bottom.

Ordered a new gfo reactor and a couple mp 40s to help boost the flow. Gonna install that stuff this weekend and do a little more manual cleaning.

Super stoked about the perc and bta. I've been dreaming about that combo for a while now.

pegasus

Man that stuff was already getting out of control. The long hours I've been putting in at work this summer took a toll.

I'm doing a little revamping on the system. A series of large water changes over the last few weeks have helped. Had to trim back a lot of the macros in the fuge so that I could get some more light to the stuff at the bottom.

Ordered a new gfo reactor and a couple mp 40s to help boost the flow. Gonna install that stuff this weekend and do a little more manual cleaning.

Super stoked about the perc and bta. I've been dreaming about that combo for a while now.
I know what you mean... I had a huge outbreak of it in my tank, and I thought it was going to completely take over the tank. I was watching the horror stories I'd read about taking place in front of my eyes. I thought it was just a matter of time before I'd have to tear the tank down and start over.

I did a lot of water changes, but it didn't seem to help with my hair algae problem. My macro pretty much stopped growing because the hair algae was eating up all the nutrients. I did a LOT of manual cleaning... spending hours at a time plucking hair algae off the rocks with hemostats. I'd get it looking pretty good, and in a couple of days it was back. I was at my wit's end with this stuff.

I ordered a dual canister GFO reactor and a Mag-Drive 3 pump. I put high-capacity GFO in the first cartridge, and ROX 0.8 carbon in the second cartridge. I didn't notice any change in the growth of the hair algae in the first week or two, but my Phosphate level dropped to nearly zero. My Nitrate was already near zero before the reactors. After a couple of weeks, I noticed the hair algae growth was slowing down dramatically. After plucking it out with hemostats, it took it a lot longer to grow back. After a couple of months, it started disappearing in spots. After 4 months, it's almost completely gone, except for the places I can't reach. It's mostly under the center brace and behind the rocks. I can't see it, and it isn't spreading, so I don't mind having a little to help out the macro in the refugium. It took a long, long time to get it to where it is now. Just be prepared for a long battle trying to get rid of it... even with a GFO reactor.

I've always wanted my clowns to host with a nem, but the only fish that ever did was a Domino Damsel. Grrrr!!!!! I suppose I'd stand a better chance of that happening if I got an RBT. Perhaps I will some day.