lucky me...

shrekisdrek

ive been in the aquarium hobby for a few years, got really into it when i first started and went on a spree of buying random fish, and one day i bought an octopus and lasted about 7 months, had a lot of fish then i had an ich epidemic which killed all my fish due to my poor education, the point is my aquariums are pretty established and i have a rock beauty thats been eating flakes since day one and id hate to lose him, im looking for the best kind of filters so i can plan ahead, any recommendations?

I would plan to get a quarantine tank. You can get a 10 gallon kit for $49.99. I do it with every fish or coral. I keep it in there for two weeks. I use copper to get rid of any parasites. I use the HOB filter without the carbon pad. I just do a water change in my 90g and put that into the 10g QT. I keep the plastic piece that holds the carbon media from the HOB filter and throw.it into my sump and that way it gets the bacteria built up on it. Then when it is time for a new fish to be quarantined I take that plastice piece...fill it with filter floss and then put it in the Aqueon 10g HOB filter. I then do the drip method to acclimate the fish to the QT water. Simple process. When I am done with the quarantine I move the fish to the display tank and simply dump out and clean the QT. I clean that plastic piece amd throw it back into my sump to gather bacteria again. This is what you should do for any future additions.

As far as best filters to use...you will get a million diff answers. What kind of filtration system are you running now? Canister, sump, HOB? What size tank is it and how many fish do you have now?