aiptasia

shista

hi everyone... I just bought a small frag of zoos and i noticed a tiny , i mean tiny , aiptasia in the middle of them... is there any way i can kill it without harming my zoas? i dont think i can use joes juice, aiptasia x, and all that stuff because its too small for a syringe... any ideas? i was thinking of putting a drop of glue on it

geoj

If the colony was big enough I would use Joes Juice and sacrifice some polyps. If it is growing on a polyp remove that polyp. Or frag the colony to separate the aiptasia. You could try superglue to smother the aiptasia but anything like that, injecting it with boiling water, that does not kill it completely will have it growing back. I would try something to keep the aiptasia at bay till you can safely remove it.

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390260/aiptasia#post_3454895
If the colony was big enough I would use Joes Juice and sacrifice some polyps. If it is growing on a polyp remove that polyp. Or frag the colony to separate the aiptasia. You could try superglue to smother the aiptasia but anything like that, injecting it with boiling water, that does not kill it completely will have it growing back. I would try something to keep the aiptasia at bay till you can safely remove it.
I agree. I myself would just dig it out of the center of the colony and damage a polyp of two and not worry about the polyps the damage will be far less than letting aip get a foothold in your tank.

manners

i had 1growing up through my zoos (looked like it was stinging them ,they tried to keep away from it and wernt fully extending) i use aptasia x the zoos all went in but the next day they where all fine( the aptaisia will eat the poison which kills them from the inside but the zoos will just get a bit of surface damagebut recover quickly and be alot happier that they arnt being stung) just put some ontop of it it will eat it no mater how small it is the zoos should recover

shista

ok,, so the zoos were only a tiny frag, so i didnt want to risk killing any polyps... what i did was take the frag out,, and really carefully cut the piece of the rock the aiptasia was on with a knife... i took out one polyp with it but the frag looks good and im sure it will grow back into that spot