Algae sheets for yellow tang

hopkins6

What kind of algae sheets do you use for your yellow tang, brown, green, or red. I use brown. And how often do you put the algae in your tank.

carshark

i used sally's seaweed salad(green) he really ate it up, i still use it for my hippo and foxface

dogstar

I feed both red and green to mine. they love both. I give them enought to take about 5 minutes for it all to be eaten once a day. I also feed them frozen meaty food also every other day.

flamehawk

best thing is to go to chinese deli and get nori--seaweed sheets used for sushi. Usual color is green and is much cheeper then LFS.

carshark

umm i was under the impression of feeding these greens everyday and leave it in a clip for them to graze on.....yellows especially like to graze

flamehawk

it's ok to leave it all day for grazing. be sure to change it every day if there is left over as it does tend to decompose and eventually smell.
go the nori route....much better on the pocket and it's the same thing you are getting - the LFS.

carshark

Originally Posted by flamehawk
it's ok to leave it all day for grazing. be sure to change it every day if there is left over as it does tend to decompose and eventually smell.
go the nori route....much better on the pocket and it's the same thing you are getting - the LFS.

oh i dont leave it in there for more then 8 hours, but usually, almost always its gone before i go to remove it. the trick is to find the amount that is not enough for him to eat in one sitting yet not too much for it to stay there for 12 hours either..

rberhow

My yellow tang loves the green algae and we feed it to him every day. Our problem is that it is so messy. He rips off big chunks and they end up feeding our skimmer. Any tips as to cut down on the mess? Will they eat from one of those clips with the grid on the front to hold it in a little?

carshark

Originally Posted by rberhow
My yellow tang loves the green algae and we feed it to him every day. Our problem is that it is so messy. He rips off big chunks and they end up feeding our skimmer. Any tips as to cut down on the mess? Will they eat from one of those clips with the grid on the front to hold it in a little?

i use a percula clip, ive found that yellows are real aggressive when eating this especially when they are hungry. the best ive seen is to soak the greens in garlic water(use RO and real garlic) for about 2 minutes or less. i have already folded the end of the greens to make more substance for the clip to grab onto and also i chipped lil cuts where the grips are on the clip nd it seems to hold it well.

E

exile415

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I feed both red and green to mine. they love both. I give them enought to take about 5 minutes for it all to be eaten once a day. I also feed them frozen meaty food also every other day.
hey dogstar, whats the difference between red algae and green. I just have a foxface and he LOVES green. I like to give my fish a variety of food, so I may consider getting red algae sheets.
_EXiLE

oceana

Originally Posted by carshark
i use a percula clip, ive found that yellows are real aggressive when eating this especially when they are hungry. the best ive seen is to soak the greens in garlic water(use RO and real garlic) for about 2 minutes or less. i have already folded the end of the greens to make more substance for the clip to grab onto and also i chipped lil cuts where the grips are on the clip nd it seems to hold it well.

I use my mag float. works great and you can move it around if you want!!

rberhow

OMG, the mag float would work perfectly wouldn't it!!! I just wish I was allowed to touch ours. My hubby finds this as his "little toy" and finds great pleasure in cleaning the tanks, which is so awesome.
Carshark, awesome tips. I will have to give them a try. My problem is more that our tang literally rips off these huge chunks and then they float up into the skimmer. He doesn't really pull it out of the clip just rips off the stuff hanging there. Any other tips I could use? I bought a grid feeding clip today so I'll let you know how that goes as well.

carshark

OMG, the mag float would work perfectly wouldn't it!!! I just wish I was allowed to touch ours. My hubby finds this as his "little toy" and finds great pleasure in cleaning the tanks, which is so awesome.
Carshark, awesome tips. I will have to give them a try. My problem is more that our tang literally rips off these huge chunks and then they float up into the skimmer. He doesn't really pull it out of the clip just rips off the stuff hanging there. Any other tips I could use? I bought a grid feeding clip today so I'll let you know how that goes as well.

ha ha ha thats funny, im more than happy to let my gf clean it if she so wishes!!, but reality is , nope she just likes the fish. but as far as the tang ripping them off what you can do is maybe try to take one sheet of algae and tear it into smaller pieces so only a little bit is exposed so there isnt much leverage on the greens from the top of the piece to the clip and have mulitple layers instead of one solid piece, just a thought....let me know how the grid clips work ive always considered them but never used them because i was afraid the holes were too small for their mouth to get in there. good luck

carshark

Originally Posted by oceana
I use my mag float. works great and you can move it around if you want!!

mag float is a great idea!!! :jumping:

O

oreo12

nori from wallmart mine like it beter than the pet store stuff and it is much cheaper

oceana

Originally Posted by carshark
mag float is a great idea!!! :jumping:
thanks i started to do it because we had some fish that would never go to the other side of our larger tank. so this way i can move it really easy to the other side so everyone gets some. the large hippo seems hogs it all anyhow lol

oceana

haha sounds like me. if i was you i would go buy a bigger better mag float and tell him to BACK OFF. just to one up him lol

carshark

Originally Posted by oceana
thanks i started to do it becasue we had some fish that would never go to the otehr side of our larger tank. so this way i can move it really easy to the otehr side so everyone gets some. the large pasific hogs it all anyhow lol

well i was having a problem when my blue hippo came into the tank, the yellow that i had for a while along with the foxface ate off that clip, that was their clip...so i considered getting another clip because now that the yellow is gone(not dead i traded him to make way for a smaller one, he got almost 8 inches!! way to big for my 75) anyway the foxface wouldnt let the regal get near the clip!! he claimed it as territory! but since he lets him eat off it now, they swim together like the yellow and fox used to, its so cool, but yeah i was trying to think of an alternative way of feeding the regal so both would be happy, so the magfloat may come in handy in the future if i come across territory problems with the regal and fox if anyone new comes in good idea!

dmitry

My Coral Beauty loves both red and gree algae, but the problem I have with her is that she always starts nipping at the leaf as close to the clip as possible...thus tearing the whole chunk off very quickly and it ends up just floating around and then she won't touch it! Very annoying!!!!