Beginner Sharks

i<3fish

I am getting a 180 or larger soon. It will probably be a 180. I am wondering what a good, hardy shark I can get. I have no idea which to get. Also please note that I am not getting the shark right away, I am going to research for a few months first. Also, please post links to them if possible. Thanks!

i<3fish

I was looking at those. But out of all the sharks and rays, which is the best? I am also going to get a ray. What about the Banded Shark? Also, what about the Blue Dot stingray, or the Cali spotted stingray?

jr2857

bamboo cat sharks, epaullete, coral cats are good beginner sharks and upgrading will need to take place in a few years. from what i heard on this site they grow on average 6-10inches a year for juves.

jr2857

blue spots are hard to take care of from what i've heard on this site. most people here keep yellow or cali rays

psusocr1

if your getting a new tank soon and you want to keep a shark and a ray dont waste your time or money with a 180..just wait till you save up a little more money and get a 300 or bigger. i just built a 205 have a ray and my shark is coming tomm, and im already buildign a 500 because IMO it should just be bigger! This way you wont waste money on a 180 then in a year youll have to upgrade!!

connor

Originally Posted by jr2857
bamboo cat sharks, epaullete, coral cats are good beginner sharks and upgrading will need to take place in a few years. from what i heard on this site they grow on average 6-10inches a year for juves.
OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SHARKS STOP TELLIN PEOPLE BAD INFORMATION. in the last thread you did this you got flamed by half the site, aw2 and crimzy told you that they can grow 12+ inches in a year from when they first hatch!

aw2

There is no such thing as a "beginner shark".
A few months isnt enough time to "research" on how to successfully keep a shark.
You need a large, very established tank, with oversized filtration. Then, you'll need to realistically think about the money involved to keep up with water changes, feeding (they're not like regular fish) and other tank/equipment maintenance.
Make sure you take advice from people who have actually kept sharks. Crimzy, myself, requiem and a few select others are the people that I know that have kept or are currently keeping different species.
Epaullete species are NOT meant for beginners or even your average hobbiest.

i<3fish

Ok, well I wont be getting a shark anytime soon. But I am going to get the 180, because I am going to build my own tank later. But I am going to wait and read alot before buying one obviously.

i<3fish

I see, but 180g is HUGE. I thought I can keep one in there for a year? Now, I dont want to get on everyones bad side... I am just wondering.

crimzy

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
I see, but 180g is HUGE. I thought I can keep one in there for a year? Now, I dont want to get on everyones bad side... I am just wondering.
Just a couple points... and don't take this like a flame because I, like a lot of others here, share your interest in sharks and rays. First, a 180 is definitely not huge. Getting a shark or ray will show you how small such a tank can look. Second, one of the most difficult parts, IMO, of having sharks and rays is selecting appropriate tankmates. The options are severely limited. When keeping these guys, "impulse buying" will lead to huge failures in your tank. If you decide to get one or both, people on here are always available for help. Getting sharks and rays will severely limit your total fish capacity simply because they are large waste producers and get so large themselves. Finally, unless you end up with the smallest species of shark, coral catshark or grey bamboo, you will need to upgrade eventually for the shark to live its full lifespan. Even with a coral cat or grey bamboo, most people will suggest that a full grown one needs a larger tank than a 180.
All that being said, if you can accept all these principles and not try to break the rules or outsmart nature, like so many attempt, then these guys are awesome to keep. But for right now, you are just starting and have had some failures... get the 180 going, learn how to keep the tank stable and keep your fish alive. When the time is right, I'll be happy to offer as much advice as you need.

psusocr1

as crim said, you "think" a 180 is huge until you put a ray and shark in there, then you will realize as i did that you need a 500!!! and i have a 205 now..but i sure cant wait for my 500 to be done!!!

crimzy

Originally Posted by psusocr1
as crim said, you "think" a 180 is huge until you put a ray and shark in there, then you will realize as i did that you need a 500!!! and i have a 205 now..but i sure cant wait for my 500 to be done!!!

Ain't it the truth!! My 220 looks like a nano to me. :scared:

i<3fish

Ha! Well, I guess it will look small with a 3' shark in there. I guess I will wait, get more expierence, and learn to be consistant with waterchanges, feedings, testing, ect. Then I will upgrade again, and get a shark and ray. What is the minimun tank for a cat shark (or one of the same size), and a ray? Is it 250g? I know you said your getting a 500g, but you can def keep a shark in smaller than that... right!?

crimzy

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
Ha! Well, I guess it will look small with a 3' shark in there. I guess I will wait, get more expierence, and learn to be consistant with waterchanges, feedings, testing, ect. Then I will upgrade again, and get a shark and ray. What is the minimun tank for a cat shark (or one of the same size), and a ray? Is it 250g? I know you said your getting a 500g, but you can def keep a shark in smaller than that... right!?
The question of the day... you'll get many different responses to this question. IMO, the following sharks can live in an 96" x 24" tank for life: coral catshark, marbled catshark, grey bamboo shark, wards wobbegong. Can any of these live in a 72" x 24" (180 gallon) for life? It would be very questionable. Most would say no and I can't disagree. Some experts would say yes. Borderline call but I agree with your thoughts of getting used to keeping easier species b4 trying a shark.

i<3fish

Thanks, now if I did get a 96x24... would I be able to get a shark and ray to keep for life? Maybe I will keep my 55g now, for awhile, then upgrade to a 200+ (96x24). Then maybe I can get a shark and ray. What types of fish are compatible with sharks and rays?

psusocr1

as crim said some people say for life a 96x24 is o.k some wont.. Imo my tank will be 479 gallons with a 8x4 footrpint, but i also ordered a grey bamboo whos maximum length reaches 28 inches, so he will have plenty of room. Also people seem to say wow if you have a tank that big you can get 2-3 bamboo's or rays...IMHO i would, and will, only ever keep one ray and one shark in my 500 gallon, and they will need every bit of it to be comfortable.
to your next questions i will be keeping all tangs with my shark and ray(oh ya and i have a lionfish). i want to and still might try a copperband butterfly but i have some time to think!! triggers are bad with them,as are any fish that will fit into the shark or rays mouth!! but you could keep an eel in there as well..

rara12

I was also considering sharks, till i was talked out of it (good thing to, i am just not ready for them) I was told not large angels, triggers or puffers. I have also herd that tangs will help with uneaten food but i dont know if thats true. I would also have love to get a pork fish to put in the tank. Now if i was the guy with th 2700 tank i would have a small school of pork fish.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by connor
OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SHARKS STOP TELLIN PEOPLE BAD INFORMATION. in the last thread you did this you got flamed by half the site, aw2 and crimzy told you that they can grow 12+ inches in a year from when they first hatch!

He is 13 yrs old!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mc