Best Protein Skimmer for under $200 USD? Input is greatly appreciated!

dutchswan

I will add a poll to this thread once I have a list of suggestions. I am looking for one that hangs on the tank. So far the following has been suggested:
1. Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue: $159

2. Aqua Euro USA Protein Skimmer Classic 55: $129.99

3. Seaclone 100 Skimmer: $89.99

4. Seaclone 150 Skimmer: $109.99

scottnlisa

I bought the Octopus BH-300F for $200 and I love it. It is a HOB and skims a ton. No problems yet. Stay away from the Seaclones. I posted a question back in Feb. about buying a protein skimmer for $200 and alot of people directed me towards octopus brands

dutchswan

Originally Posted by scottnlisa
http:///forum/post/3286488
I bought the Octopus BH-300F for $200 and I love it. It is a HOB and skims a ton. No problems yet. Stay away from the Seaclones. I posted a question back in Feb. about buying a protein skimmer for $200 and alot of people directed me towards octopus brands
Thank you for the feedback sir! I will take a closer look at octopus brands. I wonder if anyone has better ideas?

blenny

I have 2 Seaclones 100-150 i did hate them when i 1st bought them, But theres a slight manufacture defalt thats an easy fix. and in my opinion is why peaple dont like em, Where the air line goes inside the black cap that attaches to the powerhead the plasic notches are not fully knocked out causing not enoghf flow into the Skimmer with air, I finished knocking out the notches and wha la, it works Great no problems. But yes there are better ones out there.

meowzer

I had seaclones....they did ok..BUT the Octo is definitely better....Altho I wish I had gone with the Aqua C Remora

mr. limpid

I have an Aqua C hate it. It very tall didn't fit in below my DT, collection cup has long stem couldn't take off hit top of cabinet. Also it was hard to put cup back in place after removing broke plastic insert (my fault) glued back to gether never work good after that. So take caution when replacing colection cup. I have a Red Sea on my nano tank work great had it for 5 years still working great.

acrylic51

My vote would be for the Octo....second choice would be the AquaEuro......What size tank? Do you have a sump?

rickyh24

I have the Octopus BH-2000 on my 65. No complaints yet but the tank is till in its cycle so I don't have much input to give on it right now. Seems to working fine though. I believe it was around 170.