bicolor angel or coral beauty

fishfryer

I have couple green reef chromis with a pair tomato clown, and a purple psuedochromis in a 55g tank for 1 year.i got a dwarf hippo tank 6 weeks ago and all is fine. which will go good? :help:

hot883

You will be told many times that you need to get the tang out of there as they are not suited for a 55 or any other tank less then 6 feet.
As far as the angel goes i had a Bi-color and really did enjoy him alot. had him almost a year when suddenly could not find him. They ARE NOT REEF SAFE (MOST ANGELS ARE NOT)

fishfryer

since the bicolor angel is not reef safe i will go with the coral beauty. as far as the hippo tang goes he is fine and small. has plenty of rooom and when he does get too big i will trade him on here and get another baby tang again.

kevin34

Originally Posted by hot883
You will be told many times that you need to get the tang out of there as they are not suited for a 55 or any other tank less then 6 feet.
As far as the angel goes i had a Bi-color and really did enjoy him alot. had him almost a year when suddenly could not find him. They ARE NOT REEF SAFE (MOST ANGELS ARE NOT)
When you say that the bicolor angels are not reef safe what problems did you have with them? Was it agressive? Did it pick at corals?

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by fishfryer
since the bicolor angel is not reef safe i will go with the coral beauty. as far as the hippo tang goes he is fine and small. has plenty of rooom and when he does get too big i will trade him on here and get another baby tang again.

thats so dumb (no offense),... thats like moving to an apartment and buying a golden retriever, and just getting rid of it when its not a puppy anymore. get rid of the tang now... and don't get another one.
if your mind is set on an angel, i guess i'd say coral beauty, but its not completely reef safe.

hot883

Originally Posted by Kevin34
When you say that the bicolor angels are not reef safe what problems did you have with them? Was it agressive? Did it pick at corals?
picked on corals

fishfryer

i love all your input and have learned alot but sometimes your advise is wrong. first i have been doing reef for 1 year without problems. 2nd there is no reason not to have a dwarf hippo tang in a 55 gal and up. if i want a tang for 6month to 1-2 years until i feel that the hippo is too big who are you to say no... you people kill fish left and right on this form and trade whenever you break down a tank when you move. so who are you to tell anyone not to enjoy something for a limmited time verse not at all, especially when nothing is hurt

hot883

i love all your input and have learned alot but sometimes your advise is wrong. first i have been doing reef for 1 year without problems. 2nd there is no reason not to have a dwarf hippo tang in a 55 gal and up. if i want a tang for 6month to 1-2 years until i feel that the hippo is too big who are you to say no... you people kill fish left and right on this form and trade whenever you break down a tank when you move. so who are you to tell anyone not to enjoy something for a limmited time verse not at all, especially when nothing is hurt

To whom is that addressed too?

J

jeffalight

I have a 90 gal. reef tank with a flame angle and he has been great. In fact he is one of my favorites. I have been told that it often depends on the specific fishes personallity.
I am looking at him right now!

mombostic

My coral beauty is the oldest fish I have--almost five years. Beautiful, pretty good natured, and so far he doesn't pick on the few things I have--but I do not have an extensive reef-green star polyps, some xenia, and the tree thing with I have temporarily forgotten the name of. All low end stuff that is pretty hardy. However, all of the dwarf angels from the place I get my fish are listed as "can be reef safe with caution." So really there isn't any way to predict what is going to happen. All I can say is good luck! I tell you the one I like--it's that little pygmy angel--that thing is cute!

hot883

Didn't figure you would answer but anyway, Never seen a "dwarf hippo tang" Ha!

fishfryer

had trouble with computor so took awhile to get back on. i was responding to 30 extra high. i didnot mean i got a dwarf hippo but meant he is only 3 inches now ,small in size. he does quite well . still thinking of getting the coral beauty , waiting to hear from people that have them . :thinking:

acrylic51

I do think your thinking or theory on when he gets to big I'll trade him.....That's not responsible reefkeeping by any means....You are suppose to provide adequately for your animals and "your not".....
As far as which angel??? It's 50/50.....I've kept both in my 300 gallon reef, and my Bi Color will devour GSP in a heart beat......My Coral Beauty doesn't bother a thing......Needless to say the Bi Color went to my friends tank, and the Coral Beauty has been with me a little over 6 years now.....Try a Niger Trigger in your Reef :scared: Mine doesn't touch a thing and actually I think he believes he's a tang......He eats lettuce, and hangs with my Yellow and Powder Blue Tang all day.....

X

xnikki118x

I've heard more positive experiences of coral beauties in reefs than bicolors in reefs, but that could be because more people have coral beauties to begin with and bicolors are slightly less common in the hobby.
It's very irresponsible to get a fish you know will outgrow your tank.

fishfryer

thanks i will go with the coral beauty. and as far as irresonsible ,that is foolish to tell people. first when you go bigger to a next size tank ,which i will be doing my the time it grows , you are changing its tank to a new tank. so you tell me what is the differents if you do this or trade to someone who has a bigger tank? what is irresponsible is keeping it for ever and it dies!!!

stanlalee

bicolors arent nearly as hardy and known to be eating and doing well only to drop dead for no appearent reason. I had one do this myself, seem great for 6 months then one day dropped dead. thought it was just one of those things but have since read several places this is not all that uncommon (may be diet related who knows).CB are known to be hardy dwarf angels. As for reef safe most say certain dwarf angels are more prone than others (lemon peel for example have the reputation of nipping corals) but many who are fancied by dwarf angels and have kept several examples of many species say species matters not, its just the luck of the draw. anywho coral beauties have a much better percieved reputation of being reef safe than bicolor. They definately like certain corals more than others. I have a eibli dwarf and the only coral it ever messed with was an open brain. before that I had a toby puffer and never messed with any other coral and quess which one it wouldn't leave alone. its not the coral its the slime from certain corals dwarf angels feed on as part of their natural diet (which is why the nip and dont devower unlike large angels and butterflys where corals are often a staple in their diet). then there are always the occasional

[hr]
coral eaters but even the occasional tang and foxface will turn out to be one.