bio balls in a reef tank

volitan1

I need a little assistance please. I am currently running a wet/dry sump with bio balls. I've heard and read that for an established reef/fish tank it's a good idea to remove the bio balls and replace them with live rock. The tank has been up and running fine for about two years now. Here's the question: cani remove bio balls and replace them with small pieces of live rock? will the live rock need light? Thanks for any and all help

Yeah im not a fan of bio balls. I dont like that they can trap trates, and the whole cleaning process. No live rock in there does not need light. But you can if you want too. The light is mainly for Cheto.

volitan1

So i can remove bio balls an replace with pices of live rock in the bio ball chamber? I only have a sump (no fuge). cani still add some rock insude the sump as well?

bulldog123

Dont remove all your bioball at once. You have to do it slowly. Im removing mine one handful a month. This is what I have read anyway.

rigdon87

Originally Posted by volitan1
http:///forum/post/3065874
So can i add some live rock in the bio ball chamber and then some LR to the sump?
Lr has to be fully submerged your bioball chamber is prolly a drip section?if so you wont be able to do it that way

volitan1

I dont have a drip tray in my bio ball chamber. The LR will be comepletely submerged in the chamber. i also want to add some LR in the sump area. is this possible?
90 gallon tank 175 LBS of LR
i want to add 30 LBs or so to Sump.

bulldog123

You can add rock anywhere it is submerged. Just remember it may cause debre to be trapped. May have to add a powerhead to keep thing moving for your skimmer to be able to pick it up. If things sit in the sump it will cause your nitrates to spike.

bulldog123

Thats alot of rock. Unless you just have it sitting around I wouldnt spend the money. Wait around someone else will give you a different opinion.

meowzer

Would you happen to have a picture of this section? This is my wet/dry...I took all the bio-balls out of center...added LS, and some LR...I have since added chaeto, and also made some other adjustments.....I just don't have a current picture on my computer at work...
The lamp is an $8 clip on light from Walmart, and I have one of those economy spiral bulbs in it 60w I think
Attachment 226502

volitan1

HI Meowzer..here is a drawing of my set up
So do you think i can remove bio balls and add some live rock. I will not be able to create a Fuge with this set up. The Bio ball chamber where the flow comes in at is only 4-5 inches wide and wont fit a pump. So it has to be the intake chamber.

florida joe

I need a little assistance please. I am currently running a wet/dry sump with bio balls. I've heard and read that for an established reef/fish tank it's a good idea to remove the bio balls and replace them with live rock
Why ?

meowzer

I don't see why not....All I can tell you (or show you) is how mine is set up...LOL....
Your pic should enable someone to give you a good answer on that though

florida joe

What do you think you will gain from removing the bio-balls and adding live rock. what are your nitrate readings

volitan1

The honest answer is I dont know what I will gain. I have read many conflicting theorys. That is why i am so confused. Also i have extra live rock that is just sitting by itself. So i was just curious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

volitan1

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3066036
Why ?
Its what i have heard and read...you seem to have the answer. Joe you seem to be very knowledgable and like every reefer, i am constantly reading. This is just what i am reading...your help is very appreciated!!