bio balls in a reef tank

bulldog123

If you have extra rock you can put it in. But you will have to remove it every so often to clean around and under them. The LR will create dead flow area. Combat this with a powerhead or dont add any at all. You have alot of rock in there already. If I was to change something I would add a fuge with cheato. Joe knows what he is talking about but most of us arnt on the same page as him(his answers are never yes or no). Most of them are more confusing then the one asked. The answer is in there you just have to dig really deep.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3066048
Most of us dont want to wash the bio-balls as needed. This is the main reason for removing them IMO.
LOL...I had them in my wet/dry for like 3 days, and when I decided to do the fuge, and had to take ALL the bio-balls out...WHAT A PAIN!!

florida joe

Most of them are more confusing then the one asked. The answer is in there you just have to dig really deep.
Let me see if I can give an answer that is less confusing. Then again ……
Bio balls serve one purposes and one alone. NITRIFICATION. They are a multi faceted media that nitrifying bacteria can colonize
They give you the best bang for your buck in a compact size. Maintenance is important in all aspects of our hobby. Bio balls are no harder to maintain then other mechanical media. The only reason one would replace bio-balls in a wet dry sump is if they were not getting sufficient denitrification. There the hope would be that the added rock would colonize anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria however are slow to colonize and slow to remove nitrates. In the long run a refug with a higher form of algae is the answer IMO

florida joe

Joe knows what he is talking about but most of us arnt on the same page as him(his answers are never yes or no). Most of them are more confusing then the one asked. The answer is in there you just have to dig really deep.
And that digging my friend builds strong hobbyist not sheep feed yes and no answers

bulldog123

That was a clear answer. Easy to understand and comprehend. Not all of us are scolars or even strive to be. Keep it simple stupid. Thank you

bulldog123

Its a military thing. Cant believe you never heard that before. Of course I served in the 90s. No need to make things more difficult than need be. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. No, maybe, none of the above. Nevermind.

florida joe

Its a military thing. Cant believe you never heard that before. Of course I served in the 90s.
Could be, I was vacationing in beautiful south East Asia in the 60s

jayson417

Not to hijack here but what is the proper way to clean bio balls?
I use the water i took out for my water change and rinse them in there.

volitan1

That is the way to do it. Use the H20 you take out from your tank from a water change to rinse them. This way all the beneficial bacteria will stay on the Bio ball

jayson417

Originally Posted by volitan1
http:///forum/post/3066791
That is the way to do it. Use the H20 you take out from your tank from a water change to rinse them. This way all the beneficial bacteria will stay on the Bio ball
Yup that's what i do. But i always thought i was hurting the bacteria. Plus when i do my water changes and clean them i used this stuff called Biozyme. its dry bacteria colonies that i put back on the bio balls to grow whatever i just killed.

florida joe

Only do this if your tank is at least 6 months old Place some new saltwater in a five gallon plastic bucket, or any other type of good sized deep plastic container. This is where you will rinse and clean the bio-balls off. If you are planning for a water change, water removed from the aquarium may be used for this as well.
2. Turn off the filter.
3. Remove about 1/4 of the bio-balls from the filter chamber and place them into the container with the saltwater.
4. Stir and swish the bio-balls around in the saltwater to break all the gunk or organic matter loose that is stuck on them. If they are extremely dirty, you may have to repeat this step. DO NOT scrub the bio-balls! Just allow the saltwater to do the job, nothing more than that.
5. Scoop the rinsed bio-balls out and place them back into the filter bio-chamber. A plastic kitchen colander works great for this, but any type of cup or small container with drain holes in it will do. The bio-balls come out, the yucky water stays behind.
6. Restart the filter.
7. Test for the appearance of ammonia every few days for a week, then every several days over another week after that. If the tests read near zero after this time, it is ok to repeat the process. If ammonia does appear, wait until readings drop back to zero, then wait another couple of weeks after that before repeating the process with the next batch of bio-balls.

nordy

Good post by Joe above. I have bioballs in my 55gal reef tank and they work fine for me. I clean them about every six months and when I went from FOWLR to a reef tank, I found that they stayed much cleaner-less fish poop and food getting in there, but mainly due to my being better about water changes and general tank maintenance.
I was on vacation myself in beautiful South East Asia in the very early 70's. On a battleship grey colored cruise ship

florida joe

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/3066946
Good post by Joe above. I have bioballs in my 55gal reef tank and they work fine for me. I clean them about every six months and when I went from FOWLR to a reef tank, I found that they stayed much cleaner-less fish poop and food getting in there, but mainly due to my being better about water changes and general tank maintenance.
I was on vacation myself in beautiful South East Asia in the very early 70's. On a battleship grey colored cruise ship

Welcome home my brother