Cloudy from adding substrate...filter on or off?

J

jerseyshoreguy

I just set up a new 125 gallon and added the water first (perhaps a mistake) then the sand substrate (using about 50/50) live and non-live mix. Even though I washed the non-live sand pretty well the water is pretty cloudy now. My question is should I have the filters off to allow things to settle to the bottom or leave the filters on and hope they filter out the sand dust in the water column?
Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyshoreguy http:///t/389745/cloudy-from-adding-substrate-filter-on-or-off#post_3446519
I just set up a new 125 gallon and added the water first (perhaps a mistake) then the sand substrate (using about 50/50) live and non-live mix. Even though I washed the non-live sand pretty well the water is pretty cloudy now. My question is should I have the filters off to allow things to settle to the bottom or leave the filters on and hope they filter out the sand dust in the water column?
Thanks
Hi, Welcome to the site!
You should put your rock in before the sand. You can't build on sand it shifts and could cause a rock slide that could break the tank or kill your critters.
I personally would turn off the PHs and filters and let it settle a bit, then turn them on...that way the largest amount of sand can settle.
In the end since you added the sand....push it to one side, set up your rock and then push the sand back into place after you are finished aquascaping. New tank cloudy is as right of passage....LOL, mine was cloudy for two days...I finally ran a canister filter just to clear it because I got impatient.

deejeff442

i would run a filer with floss.all the light stuff will settle on top of the sand and when you fire up the powerheads it will cloud up again.

travelerjp98

No, I say definitely run a filter. I added sand to my tank a couple of days ago, it was cloudy, I ran my filter, and it cleared in 24-36 hrs.

beaslbob

welcome
In my experience (IME) the tank will clear with no filter running. So I recommend you turn off your filters for a few days until it clears.
(if it doesn't clear or gets cloudier then kill your lights as well. and stop any food additions also if you are making any additionions)
my .02

btldreef

Welcome!
I usually run a small power head aimed at the surface just to keep water circulating. Running a filter can be done, but it's dependent on what type of filter you have, and just how cloudy the water is. Some filters can handle the sand particles, some can't.
It takes a few days for it to completely settle.
As for adding sand before rock, although it is not recommended, I've done it more than once without any issues. When you put your rock in, really squish it down into the sand. You might have to dig up some of the sand.

acrylic51

I agree the cloudiness should clear, but as posted no real right or wrong answer as far as running a filter....Depending on type of filtration your running could be costly. If your running something on the line of filter socks you could run the filter and you'll have to pull the socks rather frequently to remove the particles form the water. Honestly they should settle out though.

spanko

IMO no power heads but if you have filters that have some type of media to catch particulates I would go ahead and run them. Change and or clean the filtering media daily. The sand will settle but I like to get the dust particles out of the tank. The sand will also start to bind together somewhat as the bacteria colony grows and acts as a sort of glue.

beaslbob

I give up how? LOL
the killing of the lights was in case the initial turning off of the circulation and filters did not clear it up.
If the doesn't happen then you have a micro algae problem as well not just stirred up sand.
still just my .02

S

saxman

You really need to "overwash" the sand until the water runs clear, or almost so. It can take awhile, and it's a PITA, but it's worth it. Also, you should put a plate on the substrate and gently pour in your water onto the plate. This will help with not stirring the tank up too much. One other trick I use is to fill the tank most of the way up, then scoop the sand into a small plastic "paint bucket", submerge it carefully, and pour the wet sand onto the tank floor. My tanks all clear up within an hour or sooner.
If a new tank clouds up, and it's NOT due to particles in the watercolumn, I'd be more apt to believe it was due to a bacterial bloom than an algae bloom, as bacteria multiply much faster, generally speaking, but it could be either.