cortez/round stingray care

antwon

oh now about LR, should i take some out and just put all the rest of it to the side?? heres a pic of my current rockwork:

meowzer

If those ledges are not sturdy, they can be knocked over..
can you post a pic of the floor of your tank.......remember you need a lot of "beach" room they bury themselves in the sand A LOT and need room to "fluff" it

meowzer

Really can not tell.....maybe a pic from top to bottom
Just make sure you have lots of free space in the sand

antwon

ok maybe i will leave the large rock in the middle and make two tall structures at each end.... that should work, and then i could put the new sand b/c there will b more room to work, oh and i just read ur clam thread... how is the large sick maxima doing??

antwon

oh im sorry :( things like this happen sometimes, even to the most experience hobbyist. im kinda scare im going to do all this work and the ray is going to die, but if i take care of it right hopefully it will thrive. sorry im asking all these questions too LOL. when i get the ray, should i start off feeding him by feeding stick or immediately start hand feeding( given he actually eats)??

meowzer

You have to play that by ear.....at first I placed the food in the sand and let her find it.....then as she (AND I) got more comfortable with each other I held it at the top of the tank, and she came to get it :)
BOY I MISS HER

antwon

its pretty cool u can go to the aquarium and see her in a larger tank where she is even happier, cuz im positive u cared for her greatly. i dont think my dads gonna b too happy that im rearranging my whole tank, but once he sees the new addition, im sure he'll b happy LOL

meowzer

Well to tell you the truth, the aquarium is about 3 hours away, so I have not been back yet :(
I do hope to one day though

meowzer

LOL....Probably...they have sent me pics.....they are posted in the aggressive forum. the thread is titled remember my ray

antwon

she is HUGE. its pretty sad that some websites say they only get like 6-10 inches in diameter and can be housed in a 75 permanately :(

antwon

hahaha thats why i consult the forums, not the internet. LOL u gave me way more info than i found on the websites so thanx!!

ironeagle2006

Lunare Wrasse have a nickname the Lunatic Wrasse for a GOOD reason. Mine has gone after a Tessalated eel 3 tangs and attacked a Medium Panther Grouper at the LFS. How this thing survived is beyond me.

dean1956

That substrate does need to go, way too course for Rays. The only problem with mixing in fine grade sand is that it will end up on the bottom and still have the courser on top ( I tried )and as Meowser said it will need a bigger tank soon, I had 2 - 2 1/2" pups in a 55 for about three months and the were about 4" when I sold them so have that 180 ready soon. I really think Rays need a system with no rock or at least very little so the have all the room to swim and forage around. Have you ever thought about a poly watering tank like say a 6' round one? they make a great home for the Round Ray family.