Dead coral skeleton from ocean

Discussion in 'Corals' started by nfsplayer, Sep 2, 2011.

1. nfsplayer

nfsplayer New Member

Hello everyone
    I went to beach today and found couple of interesting things. First is a dead skeleton of coral. I was wondering if i could use it in my tank?
    Other thing was bunch of flat ocean rocks. I want to make something out of them in my tank, like little decoration.
    And i read somewhere that sometimes coral skeleton might have some parts of coral left it and it might grow again?
  2. flower

flower Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nfsplayer
    Hello everyone
    I went to beach today and found couple of interesting things. First is a dead skeleton of coral. I was wondering if i could use it in my tank?
    Other thing was bunch of flat ocean rocks. I want to make something out of them in my tank, like little decoration.
    And i read somewhere that sometimes coral skeleton might have some parts of coral left it and it might grow again?
    Leather corals will grow again if even a tiny bit is left alive on it...but if you found it on a beach..I don't think so. Whatever you find in the wild like that, I would boil it to make sure it was good and dead of any parasites or bad critters....it will seed again from your tank and be like live rock.
  3. nfsplayer

nfsplayer New Member

I also found bigger shell for my hermit crab. Do i also boil it?
  4. sviellvoicae

sviellvoicae New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nfsplayer
    I also found bigger shell for my hermit crab. Do i also boil it?
    Yes