Does anyone have 20/70 vision?

alyssia

I'm asking b/c they tested my son at school today and that is what he tested at. I made an optometrist appt. for him for next week but I was wondering if this is something he will need to wear glasses all the time for. I've always had 20/20 so this is something I don't know anything about.

nigerbang

As far as I know...20-70 is pretty bad...But then again I dont know..I have always been told I have better then Average Eyesight..

fedukeford

i think i have even worse than 20-70, its like 20-140 or somewhere around there, IMO if your son is responsible and you can afford it, get him contacts, they are ALOT easier

alyssia

Originally Posted by fedukeford
i think i have even worse than 20-70, its like 20-140 or somewhere around there, IMO if your son is responsible and you can afford it, get him contacts, they are ALOT easier

He's only 9 and NOT responsible so he'll have to get glasses.

emmitt2

my right eye is 20-80 and its PRETTY bad. If i close my left and only look out my right i cant read any street signs or numbers :scared:
I'd say he definitely needs glasses. 20-70 cant be much better than 20-80.

chutneyjh

My eyes are 20/70 and about 20/100. That's pretty bad. He'll probably need some strong glasses. When I let people try mine on they about go blind they're so strong.

alyssia

Thanks everyone...I don't understand why his schoolwork hasn't suffered if his eyes are so bad. He doesn't sit near the board.

scotts

I am not sure what my eyes are, I just know my presciption is abour -2 in both eyes. My sons eyes are horrible and the opposite of mine. His prescription is +4 in one eye and +5 in the other. He passed his eye tests and loved to read. I only noticed that he was having problems because his eyes were crossing while he was reading. The eye doctor said that kids that age have the ability to focus their eyes on what they are looking at and lost this as they get older. Th eeye doctor dialted his eyes so that we could get an accurate test of his eyes.

chutneyjh

I remember when I first needed glasses. I never noticed that I couldnt' see as well. I just got really bad headaches. So I guess if he's young his eyes can still focus, but they probably get really strained. I think that's what happened to me.

alyssia

Originally Posted by chutneyjh
I remember when I first needed glasses. I never noticed that I couldnt' see as well. I just got really bad headaches. So I guess if he's young his eyes can still focus, but they probably get really strained. I think that's what happened to me.

I didn't think about that. He has been getting alot of headaches lately.

dmm0724

I have REALLY bad eyesight (somewhere around 20/200) and i never knew i needed glass either. It is so gradual that you don't realize it. But I think I remember someone saying that anything worse than 20/60 would need correction for driving...so maybe that gives you an idea as to what he's seeing.
My eyesight is not perfect even with correction but its not that bad. I would say get him some good glasses and tell him to wear them only when he needs them. Like if he's not in school he probably wouldn't need them, unless he feels like it. I've hear overcorrection is just as bad.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Scotts
I am not sure what my eyes are, I just know my presciption is abour -2 in both eyes. My sons eyes are horrible and the opposite of mine. His prescription is +4 in one eye and +5 in the other. He passed his eye tests and loved to read. I only noticed that he was having problems because his eyes were crossing while he was reading. The eye doctor said that kids that age have the ability to focus their eyes on what they are looking at and lost this as they get older. Th eeye doctor dialted his eyes so that we could get an accurate test of his eyes.

That makes sense and sounds vaguely familiar. I must of heard that somewhere before.

jerthunter

I have pretty bad eyesight, not sure but it was 20/100 or 20/200 something. I think there is a huge difference if he is far sighted or near sighted, I am far sighted and I can strain my eyes and focus without my contacts but it is very hard.