emperor angel changing

our gang

My emperor angel has been turning a different color for about a week. It is changing from juvi to adult and today I noticed the white swirls at the top of him are turning a deep yellowish color. Almost gold. Is this part of the normal change? It actually looks kinda cool but want to ask to be sure.
He's been in my 180 for approx 16 months. All parameters are normal. Thanks for the input.

crypt keeper

If you get a chance check out my Emperor thread in the aggressive section. You can see the changes. Im updating it monthly

our gang

Thanks, I have been taking pics about every other day. Mostly straight on shots, he wont stay still very long. mostly straight on shots. I feed him formula two pellets and frozen angel foods twice a day. He wont eat much else. Is there anything else I should be feeding him? I didn't think the color changes would be that drastic.

crypt keeper

They need meaty foods. Try Mysis Shrimp. Clam on a half shell soaked in garlic. Squid. Dont throw in the cube frozen. Put them in a net under hot water. Thaw them out then put the food in the ta?k.

our gang

I put in a mysis shrimp every day for the flame angel and blue hippo tangs. He doesn't bother that. I'll try the squid though. I usually do put a clam on the halfshell in about once a week. I never see the emperor eating it. Mainly the foxface eats it. I always have thawed out the frozen food before I put it in the tank. Thanks for the tip on the squid. I'll put some in this evening.

crypt keeper

How big is the emp? That is very odd on him not eating any meaty foods. He is obviously doing well. Any pics? I love these fish.

our gang

I have some pics but not any that show him very good. I have alot of live rock in my tank and he stays in there quite a bit. I'll try to get some more and post them this evening. He is only about 4-5 inches long. I thought he would start changing at 6-7 inches.

crypt keeper

No. Mine is the same size. He should be further along then just starting. They fully change over at 6 to 7 inches. Did you check out my thread?

small triggers

the angel formula cubes does have meat in it, but more importantly it has sponges which are its natural fare in the ocean. I would not be to worried if it doesnt eat alot of meaty foods, algae and sponges and the little bit of meat its getting should be enough. If you are worried you can mix some of the brine or mysis in with the angel formula.

our gang

Thanks. I tried to upload some pics of him on here but it said the pics were the wrong size and it cannot resize them automatically. I'll have to do it manually. The only problem is I don't know how to do that. I'll talk to someone at work tomorrow and find out how to do it. I did check out your thread crypt keeper. Yours is a lot further along than mine. Very cool change though. This is kinda exciting, seeing him change like this.