Firefish: Why are they hiding

hunt

My Firefish have been hiding more and more often, and its gotten to the point where theyve been hiding all day, they still come out to eat, but im wondering if this is natural for these fish, i know there more of a skittish fish, but should they be hiding for hours or even a day at a time? They are in a 29g tank with to ocellaris clowns and i dont see any agression between the two species at all so i dont think its that. Any help is appreciated, thanks, Hunter.

chevyblue96

How much rock and hiding places do you have?
I noticed that my firefish was out a lot more when there was tons of rock and hiding places (guess he feels more comfortable) then when there's less rock.
I believe they like to hide anyway though and probably still will some. I just notice mine out more with more rock and the longer he's in the tank.

cedarreef

How long have they been in the tank? If they are new arrivals they're most likely just a bit scared as they are not used to their surroundings yet. When they feel more comfortable, they'll be out. I love firefish, they have great personalities and they should get along fine with the clowns.

hunt

I have plenty of live rock (25lbs in a 29g tank), and they (theres 2 of them) have been in there for a little over a year.
Theres an older pic, if rearranged the rocks, and cleaned the walls since then, but you can see how much rock there is, and they like to hide in the rock farthest to the left.

cedarreef

How are water conditions? idk if that would cause them to hide, but they're a bit more delicate than clowns to water conditions.

hunt

my parameters are fine. there actually better than theyve been in a while because i just got my nitrates under 10ppm so i dont think thats the problem either...i check my water once a week also.

flower

How often are you putting your hands in the tank to clean things up or move stuff around?
Are you playing music or the TV loud, or dogs or kids jumping around playing near the tank?
How often are you standing in front of the tank, watching it?
All this creeps fish out. Mine will not come out if anything or anyone including me is standing in front of the tank. That's why I can't get any pictures of my fish. I had a person on the site ask if I had any fish in the tank because all my full tank shots show no fish.
Sit across the room to watch the tank and see if the firefish come out when nobody is around.

spanko

I would guess that the clowns may be causing some of the hiding. Also have you change the flow in the tank recently? This could also be a factor.

kiefers

hi.... I have a firefish and he hides if there is a fish tauning them or the flow is to high. Firefish like tank mates that are just as, how to put this, dosile as they are (peace loving) Also if you have alot of flow, the fish will remain where the flow is low or mild. As you said you have been working on your tank? That there will keep your firefish from coming out for atleast 2-3 days. I personally wouldn't stress it for awhile, mine would come out in the middle of the night to scavenge on the substrate to eat. Give em their space for a little then try changing the flow direction and watch the clowns and see if there is a little of pickin on going on.

hunt

Sorry its taken me a while to post....SPRING BREAK!!
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384996/firefish-why-are-they-hiding#post_3374807

How often are you putting your hands in the tank to clean things up or move stuff around?
Are you playing music or the TV loud, or dogs or kids jumping around playing near the tank?
How often are you standing in front of the tank, watching it?
All this creeps fish out. Mine will not come out if anything or anyone including me is standing in front of the tank. That's why I can't get any pictures of my fish. I had a person on the site ask if I had any fish in the tank because all my full tank shots show no fish.
Sit across the room to watch the tank and see if the firefish come out when nobody is around.
I only move stuff if necessary, my dog generally is out of my room, and no younger kids...i do look at the fish quite often from up close, so ill try the far away view a few times. I have also added a protein skimmer recently that makes louder than usual noise for a HOB skimmer. (i need a new pump, but im having a hard time getting the money for that.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/384996/firefish-why-are-they-hiding#post_3374833
I would guess that the clowns may be causing some of the hiding. Also have you change the flow in the tank recently? This could also be a factor.
My clowns do show some aggression, but only a little bit, if the firefish decide to venture to their territory...which they rarely do.
I have also moved a powerhead from one side of my tank to another (to see if that was why my anemone was twisting itself...it wasn't) and i never moved it back. Ive also added a protein skimmer recently, and the output tube is in the way of where the powerhead was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///forum/thread/384996/firefish-why-are-they-hiding#post_3375158
hi.... I have a firefish and he hides if there is a fish tauning them or the flow is to high. Firefish like tank mates that are just as, how to put this, dosile as they are (peace loving) Also if you have alot of flow, the fish will remain where the flow is low or mild. As you said you have been working on your tank? That there will keep your firefish from coming out for atleast 2-3 days. I personally wouldn't stress it for awhile, mine would come out in the middle of the night to scavenge on the substrate to eat. Give em their space for a little then try changing the flow direction and watch the clowns and see if there is a little of pickin on going on.
The reason that i was (not really anymore) worried was because back when i was a beginner, i bought 1 firefish (probably a mistake because they like to be in groups) but it was the most skittish fish ever, and it got to the point that it rarely came out to eat and I'm pretty sure it died of starvation.

kiefers

well, I hope your fire goby is making an appearance now. I recently ordered a new powerhead from ebay and they sent me a 1200 rather than the 1050. DANG IT!! I thought I would try it and see what happen. Aside from a tsunami in my tank the fish seem to enjoy it. Keep in mind tho the topic. The firefish goby came out the day after I put this monsterous powerhed in my tank. At first he didn't really like the current but this morning he was playing in it. He was swimming around it, in it and against it. he was surdin the current!! about 30 min. later he ate and went back into his cave.
sorry to highjack your thread but the I don't think the current thng bothers them to much. Looking over right now he is hangin out by the zoa's.
I hope you got your fire fish thing taken care of.