fish in bags, how long can they survive?

i love fish

was just wondering, when fish r in plastic bags from the LFS, how long can they survive in them b4 they become oxygen deprived, or the ammonia starts to get dangerous?
One of the guys at the LFS said 8 hrs, it seems abit 2 long 2 me, what do u all think?

reefkprz

with atmospheric air in the bag your fine for 12-24 hours depending on the amount of air/water (should be 2/3 air 1/3 water) ammonia doesnt become toxic in the bag untill you open the bag exposing it to fresh air (this spikes the ph making ammonia more toxic). it helps if the fish are trasported in the dark (AKA in a paper bag or dark box) to reduce stress and respiration. of course the shorter the interval in the bag the better. once you open the bag getting the fish out of the transport water as fast as possible is key.

renogaw

fish are shipped overnight all the time, and left in their bags until acclimation.
if you're buying from your LFS they should pump in air into the bag for you.

florida joe

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2587026
with atmospheric air in the bag your fine for 12-24 hours depending on the amount of air/water (should be 2/3 air 1/3 water) ammonia doesnt become toxic in the bag untill you open the bag exposing it to fresh air (this spikes the ph making ammonia more toxic). it helps if the fish are trasported in the dark (AKA in a paper bag or dark box) to reduce stress and respiration. of course the shorter the interval in the bag the better. once you open the bag getting the fish out of the transport water as fast as possible is key.
Excellent response my friend

kjr_trig

Here is my story with regards to that...An online company we all know and love accidentally double shipped an order to me...I.E., I received my 2 fish and snails on a Friday, they then accidently sent the same order that same Friday. They arrived at my FedEx location on Monday, I didn't receive word due to a cell phone miss hap until Wednesday (5 days after they were bagged!!) The Cream Angel was DOA, the Flame was actually alive, but did not make it. The ammonia smell from when I opened the bags still haunts me
. I tried to acclimate him, but i'm sure his gills were just burned up.
Anyways....5 days is no good

Oh, the snails seemed fine, my Wrasse is still enjoying those, infact I think he ate the last one last night
Bad idea there

I bought a mated pair of maroon clowns, orange shoulder tang, rose bulb anemone, and a purple lobster. They were shipped on friday and were supposed to be here on Saturday morning and I never got them. They were shipped FedEx and they don't ship ground on Monday so I got everything Tuesday. Well I figured everything would be upside down and melted. I got home and opened the box and the water temp was around 60 and all the fish were still breathing. The big female clown is still with me today and its been a month. She was in the same bag as her mate and it wasn't a very big bag. I would say she is one strong fish.
I got another shipment from the same person and that one was demolished in transit and never made it here. Each shipment was over 230.00 and I have a strong 15.00 fish to show for it.

slpcamaro

Originally Posted by fishy PA guy
http:///forum/post/2587961
I bought a mated pair of maroon clowns, orange shoulder tang, rose bulb anemone, and a purple lobster. They were shipped on friday and were supposed to be here on Saturday morning and I never got them. They were shipped FedEx and they don't ship ground on Monday so I got everything Tuesday. Well I figured everything would be upside down and melted. I got home and opened the box and the water temp was around 60 and all the fish were still breathing. The big female clown is still with me today and its been a month. She was in the same bag as her mate and it wasn't a very big bag. I would say she is one strong fish.
I got another shipment from the same person and that one was demolished in transit and never made it here. Each shipment was over 230.00 and I have a strong 15.00 fish to show for it.
hope you got your money back