We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. Submit a picture of your tank for a chance to win a gift certificate for your next Saltwaterfish.com purchase!! More contestants = More prizes!
  2. Hello! We noticed you are not a member of the Saltwaterfish Forum Family yet. Sign up now, and you will receive instant savings and freebies on your Saltwaterfish.com purchases. To the right is the link to 'Sign Up Now!'. We hope to meet you soon!

Fluval 305?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Equipment & DIY' started by tonynader, Jul 13, 2010.

1. tonynader

tonynader New Member

Is a Fluval 305 canister filter ideal for a 60 saltwater reef setup?
    I am buying 60 gal tank off craigs list that comes with a fluval 305. He had it set up as a fresh water but i want to do salt water. would that be fine
    thanks
  2. flower

flower Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by tonynader

Is a Fluval 305 canister filter ideal for a 60 saltwater reef setup?
    I am buying 60 gal tank off craigs list that comes with a fluval 305. He had it set up as a fresh water but i want to do salt water. would that be fine
    thanks

Yes, that canister is good up to 75g..It's the same canister I used for my 75g saltwater tank.
  3. tonynader

tonynader New Member

oh super thanks a lot.
    and howd you like it?
  4. turbosquid

turbosquid New Member

We've got a FLUVAL 305 for our 80 gal. tank, but it is NOT meant to be used as your only source of filtration. We use it in addition to our sump, with a few modifications to the filter media. Once a month clean out the compartments, rinse the filter media, and replace the polishing pads. We replaced our nitrogen removal media with Chemipure packets (an all-in-one pack) which is working out great. For phosphate removal (if you don't have a reactor) you can get phosphate removing filter pads and use them in addition to the polishing pads.