For Reef: Watts v.s. Lumen (Intense)

bang guy

Hi Mr. Angelfish :)
I do understand you point. For your reef, I'd suggest you simple get a list of desired and let the Sharks suggest some lighting.
But, I do want to continue the debate :) I think it's a good discussion.
My point is that Lumens does NOT equal light output. Lumens are a measure of light around the wavelength that is brightest to the HUMAN eye. It is not a measure of light output, just how bright it will appear to a human. The coral in our tanks could care less how bright the tank is. If that were the case we would all be using High Pressure Sodium bulbs because they produce far more lumens than anything currently in the hobby. Try it if you like :) You tank will be a very bright, greenish yellow and you will not be able to grow light demanding corals.
A perfect example is the VHO and PC comparison you did. Take a VHO Actinic 110 watt putting out 1000 lumens. And your PC 55 watt dalight putting out 5000 lumens. The only light put out by the Actinic that shows up on the LUX meter will be errant light produced because of faulty phosphors. This only makes up a small percentage of the phosphors. The vast majority of the light is produced near the 430nm wavelength, which will NOT be picked up at all on a LUX meter. In other words, if someone created a perfect Actinic Phosphor the bulb would not produce any Lumens at all. And yet I know I could grow many types of coral under it.
From what I understand the LUX meter will pick up light falling near the 557nm range. Although this light is somewhat useful for coral it's not very pleasant to look at and you would need much more of it to produce the same growth patterns.
For what it's worth, The IceCap ballast will light 4 110 watt VHO bulbs using less than 290 watts of power, including the ballast consumption.
Are you beginning to see my point yet?
Guy

josh

Hi,
Well bang and angelfish are both right. Lumens is only a measure of visible light, which is why actinics don't fair so well when it comes to lumens. However, since corals use 99% more light that is produced by daylight bulbs, such as the saki 6500 it makes more sense to gauge what kind of lights we need based on the lumens. While a coral might be able to survive under 420nm lights, it would not come close to thiriving as it would under saki, etc.

josh

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Just to throw another wrench in the gears, the type of light that shows up best on a LUX meter is the worst type of light for a reef tank ;)

How do you figure that? I put some saki's or even 10K lights up again actinics any day, I would wager they grow corals much better.

bang guy

Dana Riddle did a spectral chart for the Iwasaki 6500KDL. Take a look at it. Notice how much light is in the 400 - 450nm spectrum. It also has a peak at the other end of the scale above 600nm.
Those two peaks correspond very well with the photosynthesis peaks as they apply to light spectrum.
I agree, the 'saki is a great bulb both in output quantity AND spectrum.
FWIW MOST of the Iwasaki light will not register on the LUX meter either. There are a lot of other bulbs that produce more lumens but will not grow SPS like an Iwasaki.

jedimaster

No bulbs put out the most lumens per watt of power. Thats why they used to recomend them so much, the problem is to get the lumens required you need lots of bulbs, and most can't fit that, I however have room for 8 no tubes on my 90 gallon, thats why I went with them.