FOTW: Seahorses!!!

killafins

Broncofish, yes i thought they were endangered but the fact that they were selling them made me think they were no longer or something. Neways, i have heard from 800 to 1000 dollars... it's alot of money for a creature that should not be taken from the wild.

broncofish

Originally posted by killafins
... it's alot of money for a creature that should not be taken from the wild.

That's the beauty of OR all their stuff is tank bred...including the seadragons. In Perth they are actually breeding them and re-introducing them back into the wild, I'm gussinf OR got a breeding pair from them. In all it will be a good thing, more tank bred species mean no black market.

killafins

:( but no future career for me... just kidding...
I think that's a great idea what there doing.... how they are breeding them and then putting htem back in the wild... however, i still don't think there good for home aquariums. If i remember correctly they need a what? 50000000000000000 gallon aquarium? haha, i really don't remember the real size but i think it's really big... And I also think that u need three or more in an aquaria cuz there more social that seahorses and is recommended to get all at once so ur spending at leat 3000 dollars on fish... which i guess could not be a problem... lol....

mistylab

Great Article, and sorry about Bella, I used to be made fun of when I was crying because my betta I'd had for so long died, I have some empathy there.;)
Actually, I'm just starting a seahorse tank, I was thinking anywhere from 5-7gal., but after reading that it may be even smaller or maybe I'll just put lots of plants in it, no anemones:)
Once again, great article, and BTW, if anyone gets a weedy seadragon and doesn't want it anymore...;) My mom and I both love seahorses and seadragons, we'd take any one that came our way.

killafins

haha i hope u wouldn't... u wouldn't be able to afford it...lol...
r u talking about a dwarf seahorse???
A regular seahorse will need a bigger tank.

mistylab

Originally posted by killafins
r u talking about a dwarf seahorse???
A regular seahorse will need a bigger tank.

Ya, I don't really plan on gettin' the bigger ones because of where we're gonna put the tank.
But i don't wanna hatch brine all the time so I might get H. fuscus or japonicus;)

killafins

lighting will be fine as long as they turn to the blue lighting *i'm in a haze tonight*, like the night time lighting. U know the lights that are set for day time W00t is white light, than boom at 8 o'clock or something they turn to a cool misty blue? that will be fine.
Ur tank seems pretty cool, as long as u have access to the food source i don't see why not. how old is the tank? what do u have in it now?

csrobe02

Wow thanks killafins. I have had my 2.5 gallon setup for about a month now with nothing buy live rock. Wanted to do a mini reef tank buy had heat issues with PC lighting. Seahorses sounds pretty cool though and I think I will start to research them some more and possible keep a few in my 2.5.

killafins

csrobe02, unless it's dwarves please don't bother and if u do plan on dwarves all i can say is good luck.
Magic carp, u cannot get seahorses with what's in that takn. the only think u can keep is the hermits and snails. THe goby would be past pushing it. DItch the ducumber especially, all it will take is for a seahorse to squeeze it and ur tanks gone.
It is not good for any fish to leave the lights on 24/7. It will stress them out, they need a sense of night time too. If u keep the white brights on constantly, i recommend changing it.

killafins

OHH!!!!!
WOw, okay now i understand. Yes, u shall be fine then. My apologies, just make sure u get a timer and u'll be all set. I still am against the cucumber just because when they croak ur seahorses won't stand a chance if the others do.

logen32

hello i wanted to ask a question about the feeding in sea horses i am planing on getting 1 or 2 dwarf seahorses and i was wondering if this would be a good diet for them i bought about 30 ghost shrimp and they started to breed. I will wait a month or two for them to reprocriate and get a large amount of ghost shrimp. I am planning on buying artemia for them to feed on. Would this be a good enough diet for them?
Thank you for your time

logen32

the dwarf seahorse will eat the baby one not the big ones, would that be good enough?
If not what would u suggest?
Thanks