FoxFace

rrundle77

Originally Posted by ophiura
Yeah, it definitely concerns me...that is what I was wondering...and to help with nitrites!?!?!?!? :notsure: But DEFINITELY no help to water quality in any way.

I would like a chance top explain my logic please tell me if I am wrong (as I have read many of you posts and respect your experience) I have an orange sea star and to the best of my knowledge they are Detritus eaters. Detritus in the substrate fosters the production of nitrate. Please tell me is this is a flawed theory and if so why??
Respectively-
R

ophiura

Originally Posted by rrundle77
I would like a chance top explain my logic please tell me if I am wrong (as I have read many of you posts and respect your experience) I have an orange sea star and to the best of my knowledge they are Detritus eaters. Detritus in the substrate fosters the production of nitrate. Please tell me is this is a flawed theory and if so why??
Respectively-
R

Basically they do not eat detritus. If they did, we would have no problems whatsoever keeping them in young dirty tanks, and would have no issues with them starving. But they typically do starve in about a year in smaller tanks - those without enough surface area of LR. They feed on algal/bacterial films and/or the microscopic creatures that feed on it, bryozoans, encrusting sponges, etc....