We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.

Freshwater Dip???

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by flower, Aug 22, 2009.

1. flower

flower Active Member

A fellow at a LFS, says he does a freshwater dip on new fish arrivals to get rid of parasites....I didn't ask him for any details..I wouldn't trust him anyway.
    I looked it up...Is it a good thing for me to do with a new fish?
  2. stoss

stoss New Member

A saltwater dip is 70 - 80% freshwater & 20 - 30% saltwater. A lot of people do it and it does get rid of the parasites, but I dont trust it. A quarantine tank is the safest bet, you just have to wait 3-4 weeks before you add him to your tank.
  3. flower

flower Active Member

Originally Posted by Stoss

A saltwater dip is 70 - 80% freshwater & 20 - 30% saltwater. A lot of people do it and it does get rid of the parasites, but I dont trust it. A quarantine tank is the safest bet, you just have to wait 3-4 weeks before you add him to your tank.
    According to the web site where I looked it up..it was 100% RO water with no salt at all. It said the parasite ich explodes but fish handle it pretty well.
    It said to soak the fish for 3-4 minutes, if they show stress remove it back to saltwater.
    Fish from SWF.com arrive in 1.010 which is already hypo according to Cranberry. I was wondering about fish from the LFS.
    Mosly I am wondering if it is unhealthy...I don't want to buy a fish from the LFS if the fish have had this done to them and it is unhealthy.
    Then I started wondering if it is something I should do???
  4. florida joe

florida joe New Member

Actually fresh water dips have been used in the hobby for as long as I can remember, from info I have gathered I make sure the ph and temp of the fresh water is the same as the water the fish is coming out of. I use a product to treat the fresh water such as Prime. And only use RO water. I use an air stone. I keep the fish in the fresh water for 4 minutes. IMO the hardest part is knowing if the fish is overstressed or just going to the bottom as an initial reaction to the fresh water.
    The bottom line is that it is your fish your money there is an inherent risk in much we do
  5. flower

flower Active Member

Originally Posted by florida joe

Actually fresh water dips have been used in the hobby for as long as I can remember, from info I have gathered I make sure the ph and temp of the fresh water is the same as the water the fish is coming out of. I use a product to treat the fresh water such as Prime. And only use RO water. I use an air stone. I keep the fish in the fresh water for 4 minutes. IMO the hardest part is knowing if the fish overstressed or just going to the bottom as an initial reaction to the fresh water.

That is exactly what the article said to do...but does it hurt the fish? Should I do it, should I not buy from those who do it?
  6. florida joe

florida joe New Member

That is exactly what the article said to do...but does it hurt the fish? Should I do it, should I not buy from those who do it?
    IMO we are hurting the fish the second we remove it from the ocean. If it is in fact removing parasites. Then we are helping that fish as well as its future tank mates. I personally have no problem buying a fish from a LFS which has employed fresh water dipping As far as if you should do it, as I said above its your money and your fish. you have to weight the inherit risks and make your own decision
  7. flower

flower Active Member

IMO we are hurting the fish the second we remove it from the ocean. If it is in fact removing parasites. Then we are helping that fish as well as its future tank mates. I personally have no problem buying a fish from a LFS which has employed fresh water dipping in it stock

Thank You!..
  8. lil.guppy

lil.guppy New Member

My yellow belly hippo tang and my powder blue tang had ick. They were eating fine and acting fine but I read up on this and thought I would give it a try because I didnt have a quarntine tank. It killed them within 48 hours.
  9. stoss

stoss New Member

IMO we are hurting the fish the second we remove it from the ocean. If it is in fact removing parasites. Then we are helping that fish as well as its future tank mates. I personally have no problem buying a fish from a LFS which has employed fresh water dipping As far as if you should do it, as I said above its your money and your fish. you have to weight the inherit risks and make your own decision
    I agree with that. You should be inspecting the fish before you buy it anyway. If at the LFS and the fish looks good = buy it. If it looks stressed, weary or messed up in any way = dont buy it
  10. florida joe

florida joe New Member

It killed them within 48 hours.
    Oh Red how it pains me to disagree with you but you will never know if in fact the fresh water dip was the reason for your fish demise
  11. adurost

adurost New Member

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Bob Fenner, advocates a FW Dip. Excerpt from an article entitled, "Dips/Baths, A Useful Protocol for Excluding Many External Fish Parasites"
  12. cranberry

cranberry New Member

A left a fish in a FW dip for 30 minutes before I remembered him. He was happily swimming away.....
    Side discussion....
    If we all agree FW dips are proven harmless dips, why are we so afraid to lower our salinity quickly to a hypo of 1.009 when we take them from 1.023 or dadda in 2 secs flat.
    Or why are we worried about acclimation to our tanks with drips and longterm procedures when we dip em like a donut in FW.
    These are very common practices and traditional thought of as harmless.
  13. aquaknight

aquaknight New Member

Originally Posted by Cranberry

A left a fish in a FW dip for 30 minutes before I remembered him. He was happily swimming away.....
    Side discussion....
    If we all agree FW dips are proven harmless dips, why are we so afraid to lower our salinity quickly to a hypo of 1.009 when we take them from 1.023 or dadda in 2 secs flat.
    Or why are we worried about acclimation to our tanks with drips and longterm procedures when we dip em like a donut in FW.
    These are very common practices and traditional thought of as harmless.
    Ain't it?
  14. crypt keeper

crypt keeper New Member

I acclimate a fish for 15 minutes then place it in. I buy my fish from the same store that doesnt use copper. I have a few places near me that use copper in their systems.
    I have never done a fw dip. Never really had a reason too. Is this a better way to qt a fish?
  15. cranberry

cranberry New Member

Cheap, proven, old school and pretty harmless.
  16. noah's nemo

noah's nemo New Member

I've done FW dips on 3 fish so far ,clowns and a firefish.Started a new set-up they are the first additions.Firefish had a clear sign of ich.Did him first 3 and half minutes.Pulled him out,spots were gone.Did clowns next,have not seen any ich yet.This was about 2 weeks ago.I think i will do it whenever needed,seems harmless enough.
  17. flower

flower Active Member

Very interesting...I think I too will get some Methylene Blue and do a preventive dip, since it won't hurt. An ounce of prevention, and all that.
    I very seldom add fish...And at least i know I don't have to ban the LFS that says they do this.
    I also think I will continue to acclimate for an hour like I always did.
    I am left with one more question. PH is 8.2 in my tank...how can fresh water match that PH? The only way I know to up PH is to add buffer, which is salty isn't it?
  18. cranberry

cranberry New Member

No, it's not salty. Your freshwater will still be fresh.